Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: benzaldehyde adduct questions...
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 16:14
benzaldehyde adduct questions...

When making the adduct from benzaldehyde....is it possible to do so if the Benzaldehyde is in DCM? Or does the dcm need distilled off first?

Also...if theres a chance it is a cinnamaldehyde/benzaldehyde mix, will this help seperate the mix or will both form adducts? If so then I guess ill need to fractionally distill (by vacuum) first?

Thanks guys.
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-10-2020 at 17:05

Anyone?
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 15-10-2020 at 18:36

Might need a bit more information to understand your specific problem. I am guessing your referring to a bisulfite adduct of benzaldehyde? There are lots of posts here on this issue but essentially what you want to do. If you did a liquid liquid extraction with bisulf (aq) and DCM, I recommend doing multiple small extractions rather than one large one! It will help with recovery. In terms of separating out cinnamaldehyde/benzaldehyde I would probably just use chromatography if I was just doing this for fun and didn't want to do any research. I would imagine a bit of research would yield a lot of results on the topic abet from less than savory sources because cinnamaldehyde/benzaldehyde are common precursor chemicals for "cookery". :(
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=27476
http://chem2all.blogspot.com/2009/03/addition-of-bisulfite-t...
Also, see this article for some help! :)

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2020 at 01:29

Unless the adduct dissolves in your solvent, it should work well. Different aldehydes are likely too similar in properties to be separated, so they all form an adduct and (preferably) crash out. Adducts are commonly washed with ethanol, ether or similar solvent, and if DCM is suitable for it, you don't have to strip it off first.

I usually just try things out myself if I can't find info on following:

- Google
- Wiki
- SM search engine
- DOI documents

Take a small sample, measure ratios carefully and test your concept and write down everything. If it doesn't work, rethink it. If it works, see if you can improve the yields by recalculating or altering ratios or work practices. When you get it working, scale it up.

And if people would also write their experiences on the web, the tried and true info would be available for everyone. Now, the most common practice is to leech bits of info and posting zero topics, and either they just forget it being too lazy, or they get it working and go on with their lives. If it wouldn't be the case, I bet many "cookery" type people consider their "recipes" as trade secrets.

Go To Top