Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cheap solvent pump that will not dissolve itself?
LuckyWinner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 10:24
Cheap solvent pump that will not dissolve itself?

I ve been on the lookout for a decent solvent pump to pump all
kinds of solvents into different containers.

like diethyl ether, acetone, ethyl acetate, DCM, chloroform, toluene

these solvents do not seem to attack stainless steel nor teflon.

are there any small affordable solvent pumps out there that will
not cause an explosion hazard?

lab pumps cost 1000 USD+ always
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 10:49

Most pumps are not spark proof, so you wouldn't want to use them for flammable solvents.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 11:20

I suppose a peristaltic pump with teflon/viton/fluoropolymer tube would be optimal for chemistry needs. It should not cost that much, conceptually.
LuckyWinner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 11:30

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
I suppose a peristaltic pump with teflon/viton/fluoropolymer tube would be optimal for chemistry needs. It should not cost that much, conceptually.

yea I had that in mind but good luck finding that masterflex tubing somewhere...
only speciality chemical companies sell that at a crazy price and to businesses only...

the other tygon and co tubes are not solvent compatible
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 13:23

How much solvent are you trying to pump, mls or liters? FMI pumps are ideal for small amounts of solvents, you could also repurpose an older HPLC or MPLC pump for that scale. For larger amounts, they make gasoline pumps for small tanks to fill construction equipment, they are obviously fire safe, but not sure if good for all solvents, like DCM, which is rough on everything.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 13:49

Quote: Originally posted by LuckyWinner  

yea I had that in mind but good luck finding that masterflex tubing somewhere...
only speciality chemical companies sell that at a crazy price and to businesses only...

Viton Tubing on eBay ?

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 15:25

Do you have access to compressed air? A venturi pump could do this cheaply and easily with absolutely no chance of spark/explosion.
LuckyWinner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2020 at 00:53

what if you want this solvent pump also to be used as dosing pump?

whats the recommendation for that.
LuckyWinner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2020 at 01:28

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Quote: Originally posted by LuckyWinner  

Viton Tubing on eBay ?

vitonĀ® Chemical Compatibility Chart: Check the chemical compatibility of VitonĀ® with various chemicals, solvents, alcohols and other products.

A trademark of DuPont, Viton fluoroelastomer in general has a high temperature tolerance and chemical resistance rating. It is a synthetic rubber that resists many hydrocarbons, biodiesel, and petro chemicals,

but is NOT compatible with ketones.
Do not use Viton with acetone, esters, amines, organic acids, acetic acid, MEK, ethyl acetate, highly polar chemicals, etc.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2020 at 01:44

On the other hand(pun intended), I pump stuff with fuel primer hand squeeze pump and with gas washer head. Just attach it to a flask, put a tube down whatever you want to suction and start squeezing. The flexibility of the tubing is not an issue here, I use rigid PTFE tubings when necessary. Technically any container can be pressurized or vacuumed in order to push or pull the liquid out, the pressure difference will be in millibars so no risk of stress. I used to drain my brewing pots into the boiler with just putting a vacuum cleaner to the inlet, and 50 liters of wash was transferred within a minute through 1" tube. When filling homemade wine from carboy, I just turn the squeezer around, pushing air into the carboy, which pushes the wine up to the tube and to the bottle. The moment you stop pumping, it will create a pressure lock and prevent any further drainage. For larger amounts, just put a decent aquarium air pump to do the job. You can do simple fittings for many bottle sizes from conical silicon or rubber plug, and for larger openings like 10L buckets or even 50L I just cut a sheet from plywood and put silicone caulk or rubber to seal it up.

I also use these pumps for vacuum suction filters. They provide enough vacuum to filter stuff nicely, and have absolutely no risk of imploding erlenmeyers, unlike actual vacuum pumps which can easily reach 1kg/cm2 vacuum. The larger the filtration flask, the less often you have to reapply the vacuum.

611zasUcFwL.jpg - 22kB
LuckyWinner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2020 at 02:09

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
On the other hand(pun intended), I pump stuff with fuel primer hand squeeze pump and with gas washer head. Just attach it to a flask, put a tube down whatever you want to suction and start squeezing. The flexibility of the tubing is not an issue here, I use rigid PTFE tubings when necessary. Technically any container can be pressurized or vacuumed in order to push or pull the liquid out, the pressure difference will be in millibars so no risk of stress. I used to drain my brewing pots into the boiler with just putting a vacuum cleaner to the inlet, and 50 liters of wash was transferred within a minute through 1" tube. When filling homemade wine from carboy, I just turn the squeezer around, pushing air into the carboy, which pushes the wine up to the tube and to the bottle. The moment you stop pumping, it will create a pressure lock and prevent any further drainage. For larger amounts, just put a decent aquarium air pump to do the job. You can do simple fittings for many bottle sizes from conical silicon or rubber plug, and for larger openings like 10L buckets or even 50L I just cut a sheet from plywood and put silicone caulk or rubber to seal it up.

I also use these pumps for vacuum suction filters. They provide enough vacuum to filter stuff nicely, and have absolutely no risk of imploding erlenmeyers, unlike actual vacuum pumps which can easily reach 1kg/cm2 vacuum. The larger the filtration flask, the less often you have to reapply the vacuum.

the siphoning technique but with this method its all or nothing.
any way to just transfer a couple ml ?
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2020 at 12:29

A syringe pump maybe? Though I must admit your exact requirements aren't clear to me. What exactly are you trying to achieve? For which application do you need the pump?

Go To Top