Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Detained at customs
paulll
Hazard to Self

Mood: It's fine. Really.

[*] posted on 27-10-2020 at 00:11
Detained at customs

Well this is interesting:
"Dear customer.We are very sorry to interrupt you.Order number:[redacted by me] Product(siplusmile Watch Glass Beaker Cover Set 70mm Lab Watch Glasses for Laboratory Science and Chemical Experiment, 10pcsToday, we are informed by the Customs that your products have been detained.And we are not sure when the Customs will release it.As it is the peak season now, the Customs' check is relatively strict.Would you mind to wait for 15-25 working days than the estimated delivery time?Hope we could have your understanding,sometimes it is out of our control.So may I know your idea about that?As our product is shipped from China, some problems are out of our control.Hope we could have your great understanding.We are looking forward to your reply.Have a nice day!Lee"

Haven't found out yet whether this is Chinese customs or Canadian but has anybody seen this before? I'm hoping it's a sloppy delay tactic...
(I haven't purchased anything that would put me on any kind of useful watch-list. Potassium permanganate and nitrate are the closest things to eyebrow-raisers.)
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2020 at 02:24

Sounds like chinese customs.

It's the only one who has opened a few of my packages. They had tapes and stamps all over them. Especially electronics seem to be of interest, never got glass though.

Did think they only go through imports, not exports.

Oh, and german customs once rolled my ozone generator. It was just opened, looked into and taped back up with their green tape without touching anything. Or they were exceptionally good at putting things back, because it was sort of very strictly packaged. Electronics..
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-10-2020 at 03:31

eh it is luck of the draw, they will detain a random samples and hope to find some thing.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-10-2020 at 10:57

I just had a laugh thinking about the customs agents who would open a Deschem order with 20-30 items.
Poor guys :)

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2020 at 13:55

Customs held a box with Sodium Dichromate i had bought from Russia in like 1 month but when i finally got it there was no signs of it had even been opened.
The did stop a shipping of Dill seed oil i had bought from India.
When i called them they said it contained something that were not allowed to import and they did return it to the seller.
Its quite strange as dill oil can be bought everywhere even in shops here but not as cheap as the Indian oil.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2020 at 10:38

There are many other stupid import laws in force; you aren't allowed to order the stuff from other country, but you can buy it from local shop or pharmacy otc - the catch is, it costs about 10 times more. Few times I've directly contacted the customs or the drug authority and asked about specific compound, and few times they've said its ok, but usually they just respond that if it could be used as a medicine, it will be classified as a medicine hence ordering it is forbidden. It doesn't have to be on any list, so ordering "research chemicals" is not ok at here.

Customs can cease stuff and keep it for analysis, which can take anywhere from hours to months, depending on methods and priority. They run quick tests with narc&exp detection kits, and if they don't show up anything and they still have reason to suspect it is restricted, they send it to lab. If test shows positive, they send it to lab also, but meanwhile they will go roll the one who ordered it.

[Edited on 28-10-2020 by Fyndium]

Go To Top