Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium benzoate -> Ferric benzoate (and similar rxns)
thors.lab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 12:20
Sodium benzoate -> Ferric benzoate (and similar rxns)

Hi,

I heard that using ferric salts can significantly improve yield in ketonic decarboxylation of carboxylate salts to produce things like butyrophenone etc. This could be a very convenient method that doesn't require acyl chlorides which have proven to be extraordinarily hard for the amateur chemist to acquire (seriously, I've been looking for ages and haven't found a single way to make them that's practical).

Now ferric benzoate and etc are pretty hard to just buy. But sodium benzoate is readily available. I'm not too familiar with this type of inorganic reaction so I need a little help figuring out how or if I could convert these sodium salts to ferric salts.

Thanks,

Please check out my latest video: Synthesizing Nitrobenzene, and the last one:
Making Nitric Acid.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 13:32

One would normally mix ferric chloride/nitrate/whathaveyouate with sodium benzoate in a stoichiometric ratio, and expect the iron compound to precipitate out. However, ferric compounds are notorious for hydrolyzing, so you'd be likely to get a basic ferric benzoate, or possibly just a mix of rust and benzoic acid.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 15:14

I thought it was the ferrous salts?

Anyway you could start from ferrous sulfate and calcium benzoate or similar -- precipitating CaSO4 sucks of course though. Alternatively, if ferrous tartrate is available, you can precipitate potassium bitartrate by using one component as the acid:

Fe(O2CCHOH)2 (aq) + H2(O2CCHOH)2 (aq) + RCO2H (aq) + KOBz (aq) >> "Fe(O2CR)(OBz)" (aq) + KH(O2CCHOH)2 (s)

For this I would try precipitating iron (II) carbonate from a solution of any iron (II) salt and dissolving this in a slight molar excess of boiling aqueous tartaric acid; since the salt is attacked by air, the solution should be used immediately. However if you can buy ferrous tartrate itself that would of course be easier.

[Edited on 10-11-2020 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 15:16

Look for posts from organikum, somewhere he describes exactly that very detailed.

Go To Top