Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Ordering watched chemicals from Europe
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 14:47
Ordering watched chemicals from Europe

I want to buy a small amount of sodium metal (100 g) and it appears that Onyxmet can do it very cheaply, like $35 shipped to my address in the USA. I've ordered chemicals from overseas before but never a DEA watchlist chemical. Has anyone done this before -- should I expect any trouble from US Customs or law enforcement? I'm not up to anything illegal, just trying to gauge if the cost savings ($35 from Onyxmet vs $80-90 from domestic suppliers) are worth the potential headaches.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 15:08

Dude, people imported stuff like PMK glycidate by dozens of kilos from outside of the states.
And Tom packs his stuff very well.
No worries.
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 20:11

i'm in the same boat. I just ordered 250 grams of red P from chemcraft.su.
I think the worst that can happen is that the order gets stuck at customs, but it's more likely to go through than not. People order actual drugs in bulk through customs. Worst you will get is a love letter.

If it doesn't work out. I want someone here to spoonfeed me a step-by-step guide on how to make red P at home, for idiots. give me a shopping list and all. because i can't figure it out.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 20:18

You know how to make white P? React that with a catalytic amount of I2.
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 20:38

No, i don't know how to make white P either.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 20:46

Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  
I want to buy a small amount of sodium metal (100 g) and it appears that Onyxmet can do it very cheaply, like $35 shipped to my address in the USA. I've ordered chemicals from overseas before but never a DEA watchlist chemical. Has anyone done this before -- should I expect any trouble from US Customs or law enforcement? I'm not up to anything illegal, just trying to gauge if the cost savings ($35 from Onyxmet vs $80-90 from domestic suppliers) are worth the potential headaches.

My dealings with onyxmet have always been very positive, including shipping to Australia.
I bought one of those 100g cannisters of Na a few years back. It was a very good way of packaging it and it raised no issues at the border.
FTR, I also bought some red P and lithium from onyxmet more recently. Again no issues. They were labelled more cryptically so as to not raise red flags. Basically that meant my order was split with the sensitive items in a separate package. Process was straightforward.

Chances are that you wil be fine. Tom has lots of experience serving customers over the globe and shipping into all kinds of destinations. i have not heard of any issues at all dealing with him.

Similar things can be said about chemcraft. I have had nothing but excellent service from them.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-11-2020 at 00:03

I can add my words to what j_sum1 and karlos³ say about Onyxmet and Chemcraft. Both companies have excellent service and they package their stuff really well. I am happy that there are such companies, who sell interesting materials to individuals.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-11-2020 at 00:57

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
i'm in the same boat. I just ordered 250 grams of red P from chemcraft.su.
I think the worst that can happen is that the order gets stuck at customs, but it's more likely to go through than not. People order actual drugs in bulk through customs. Worst you will get is a love letter.

If it doesn't work out. I want someone here to spoonfeed me a step-by-step guide on how to make red P at home, for idiots. give me a shopping list and all. because i can't figure it out.

I have an order of 10 gms (all they had!) of NaBH4 overdue from Chemcraft myself so maybe russian post is super held up? The tracking said it took a month to even get to the point of leaving russia but then nothing now for weeks.......same with something else off ebay from Germany and also a damn 250 dollar heating mantle from aliexpress.......just have to hope its the corona and not customs I guess.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2020 at 03:43

My orders from China have been very late recently, so it appears to be the corona once again.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 04:58

I don't think the problem is Corona Virus. The problem is mostly politics, here in the U.S..

Our Customs services, and our Post Office are malingering.

As for ordering "Listed" verbotten items, from foreign suppliers, and having them delivered inside the U.S.. It isn't a good idea.

Phosphorus may be less of a hot-button issue, than it used to be.... But, importing it without a permit, is considered a crime here. I wouldn't.

Find a domestic seller, make it, or scrape it off of matchbook strikers.
MidLifeChemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: precipitatory

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 08:19

Quote: Originally posted by nzlostpass  

I have an order of 10 gms (all they had!) of NaBH4 overdue from Chemcraft myself so maybe russian post is super held up? The tracking said it took a month to even get to the point of leaving russia but then nothing now for weeks.......

What country are you in?
chemship1978
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 08:48

Quote: Originally posted by MidLifeChemist  

I have an order of 10 gms (all they had!) of NaBH4 overdue from Chemcraft myself so maybe russian post is super held up? The tracking said it took a month to even get to the point of leaving russia but then nothing now for weeks.......

What country are you in?

His nickname is quite revealing in that matter!
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 09:09

Chemcraft send me a package via Russian postal service the same day I ordered from him which was 27th October and it was delivered to me 10th November.

monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 09:24

I talked to Tom and he said he's sent sodium to the USA multiple times without issue. If anyone cares, I'll let you know if it arrives. :) Very good price, $32 shipped for 100 g.
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 17:17

What country are you in?

NZ=NEW ZEALAND :)
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 17:19

What country are you in?

MidLifeChemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: precipitatory

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 17:38

What country are you in?

I thought so, but I didn't want to assume. That's why postal service is slow to you, there are very few international flights now between your part of the world and the rest of the world.

Beautiful country btw. I've visited there twice. Are you in Auckland? Or perhaps you are in the "lost pass" on the South Island :)

[Edited on 11/14/2020 by MidLifeChemist]
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-11-2020 at 19:33

What country are you in?

I thought so, but I didn't want to assume. That's why postal service is slow to you, there are very few international flights now between your part of the world and the rest of the world.

Beautiful country btw. I've visited there twice. Are you in Auckland? Or perhaps you are in the "lost pass" on the South Island :)

[Edited on 11/14/2020 by MidLifeChemist]

Thank you for complimenting my country :)
Im in the south of the south island......my name was NZniceguy but I got locked out of that account hence the "lost pass".

Im overdue on 3 items from 3 diff countries and customs could have nabbed them......last time that happened I lost a complete glassware set worth over $200 and never heard a thing....the tracking just stops.

So i dont know if its just late due to corona etc or our damn customs.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 22-11-2020 at 05:55

Ummm. I have the impression that NZ is pretty well locked down.

Unlike most of the rest of the world, you have Corona Virus, under control.

Efforts to keep it under control, may be slowing down the mails, and other things.

Be happy.

[Edited on 22-11-2020 by zed]
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-11-2020 at 17:47

ThePackageFromGermanyShowedUpLastWeekAndTheTrackingOnTheRussianParcelFinallySaysItHasArrivedInNewZealand.SorryMySpaceBarIsNotWorking.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 11:56

My 100 g order of sodium metal was delivered with absolutely no issues. :) From order to delivery it was about 16 days (Poczta Polska shipping to US + USPS delivery.) Very happy overall, I highly recommend Onyxmet.
HydrogenSulphate
Harmless

Mood: Caffeinated

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 15:34

ThePackageFromGermanyShowedUpLastWeekAndTheTrackingOnTheRussianParcelFinallySaysItHasArrivedInNewZealand.SorryMySpaceBarIsNotWorking.

You've probably got biscuit crumbs lodged under it :P
HydrogenSulphate
Harmless

Mood: Caffeinated

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 15:36

My 100 g order of sodium metal was delivered with absolutely no issues. :) From order to delivery it was about 16 days (Poczta Polska shipping to US + USPS delivery.) Very happy overall, I highly recommend Onyxmet.

Interesting. So, do you think customs opened it and decided to allow you to have it, or they did not open up the package?
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 20:05

Quote: Originally posted by HydrogenSulphate  

Interesting. So, do you think customs opened it and decided to allow you to have it, or they did not open up the package?

I don't believe they opened it, judging by the tape on the box. The box was marked "inert metal rod" and the vacuum sealed pack inside the box was clearly marked sodium metal, so it would have been apparent what the contents were.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2020 at 03:55

Where is sodium a regulated substance?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top