Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Ordering watched chemicals from Europe
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-11-2020 at 04:51

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
Where is sodium a regulated substance?

It's DEA special surveillance if you read the chemical handlers handbook.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 2-12-2020 at 22:51

Lots of things are "Special surveillance". Not the same thing as being "Listed", or worse List 1.

Personally, I'd try to buy it from a U.S. seller, if you are in the U.S..

At he moment, It's hard to know, what the Feds currently have a "bee in their bonnets" about.

And, "Importing" attracts attention.

Now-A-Days, it is easy enough to make your own Sodium.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 03:02

If you are a supplier and someone buys listed stuff, when do you report it and to whom? Or do chemical dealers get a Secret Black Letter from the gov that contains requests?
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 04:39

Quote: Originally posted by zed  

From the sciencemadness wiki:
"There are many methods known for producing sodium, many of which seem easy theoretically, but pose their own practical challenges. Producing sodium at home on a large scale is generally not feasible due to the conditions under which the reactions must take place, but is a great project and achievement for the experienced amateur chemist."

Do you mean reduction with magnesium (thermite) as the easy way or some other approach?

[Edited on 3-12-2020 by teodor]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 06:24

I would go with the mineral oil / magnesium / NaOH / menthol method. I did it once and I found the procedure very easy. You could do a small thermite reaction to get a small amount of sodium to dry the reaction the first time, or use an old Erlenmeyer as it will get etched pretty badly without drying it with sodium.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 06:42

I didn't know this method work well for sodium, I thought it for potassium. Also I remember it always was some exotic solvent ... Thanks Tsjerk for the info but I already ordered Na. Actually more than I need, so will be able to retail if somebody will be interested (or exchange, I want Gallium). But I see, it is easy now ;) ....

[Edited on 3-12-2020 by teodor]
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 16:26

Quote: Originally posted by zed  

The NurdRage method is much more difficult than it looks, speaking from personal experience. Out of about 10 attempts it worked once with 90% yield, once with 50% yield, and about eight times with 0-20% yields. I tried swapping reagents, running the reaction differently, even contacting NurdRage for troubleshooting. Still not sure why it worked really well once and so poorly the other times, but NurdRage did tell me it is a very difficult reaction even for experienced chemist friends he collaborated with.

[Edited on 12-4-2020 by monolithic]
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 17:15

Well, Borneol or Isoborneol, are reputed to work better than Menthol.

Though you might have to make this stuff yourself. Camphor is readily available, Borneol and Isoborneol...not so much.

Also, the Thermite yield could be improved upon. Like by using an inert atmosphere, over the reaction, and utilizing a more sophisticated reaction vessel. Much of the Sodium produced, is promptly destroyed.

[Edited on 4-12-2020 by zed]

[Edited on 4-12-2020 by zed]
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2020 at 17:30

I would likely use a longer tube as a reactor, fill it with argon and fire it up. Placing a gravity assisted plug to the end, from a bolt and larger washer for example like I did with my cyanide pot, the overpessure can escape but it limits the access of air into the system. Cleansing the tube is another matter though, but probably pouring in mineral oil and heating the tube would be a start.

I have still the test of sodium carbonate and carbon to be done. I already got the apparatus ready but eventually did not have time and access to my suitable place to test it out so it will move into future. The concept is:

Na2CO3 + 2 C → 2 Na + 3 CO

Where I have stainless steel reactor with retort tube led into a flask with mineral oil and exhaust tube for CO gas. Heating the reactor to 1100C which should be doable with high pressure propane torch (20kW each) in a ceramic wool raku type furnace, the sodium should distill and flow through the retort into the flask and accumulate below oil. The residual heat should keep the retort hot enough to allow sodium be molten all the way to the flask and oil. If this method works, it would easily allow for several hundred grams of Na be produced from each batch.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top