Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Respirator recommendations
hasani10
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2020 at 13:52
Respirator recommendations

What's a good grade of respirator to use please? I don't have access to a fume hood, but do all my work outside in a well ventilated area with a fan set up.

I'm planning on doing some more dangerous work than i've done before in terms of fumes, namely making and working with bromine.

I haven't a foggiest what the different grades of respirator mean, where a good place to get one would be, good price range etc. Just wondering if someone could shed some light please?
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 19-11-2020 at 15:11

Did you look at the attachment to my last post? It has a long list of compounds and the required cartridges.
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 19-11-2020 at 23:14

Can you make your own fume hood? It really makes many things much more easy and safe. It can be built quite cheap from some plywood, polycarbonate or plexi (sash). The most expensive part is the blower but it can be also bought cheap.

In a longer perspective such an investment will be much cheaper than gas mask and cartridges replacement - and this is the thing that you should do very often when working with something dangerous. Generally you should always use new one when working with something nasty. Otherwise you will never know how much it could withstand, and consequences can be really bad.
It's better to do dangerous things having PPE like a gas mask than without but it's much better to use it as a type of secondary equipment used in emergency situations (quenching, evacuation etc).

Quality cartridge cost is about 15-20% of budget version of fume hood.

Good all-around cartdriges are ABEK with dust filter P.
The higher number with the letter, the better protection it gives.

[Edited on 20-11-2020 by outer_limits]
hasani10
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-11-2020 at 03:12

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
Did you look at the attachment to my last post? It has a long list of compounds and the required cartridges.

No, sorry i haven't seen your post and can't find it. Do you have a link to it please?
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-11-2020 at 03:18

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...
hasani10
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-11-2020 at 03:20

Quote: Originally posted by outer_limits  
Can you make your own fume hood? It really makes many things much more easy and safe. It can be built quite cheap from some plywood, polycarbonate or plexi (sash). The most expensive part is the blower but it can be also bought cheap.

In a longer perspective such an investment will be much cheaper than gas mask and cartridges replacement - and this is the thing that you should do very often when working with something dangerous. Generally you should always use new one when working with something nasty. Otherwise you will never know how much it could withstand, and consequences can be really bad.

It's better to do dangerous things having PPE like a gas mask than without but it's much better to use it as a type of secondary equipment used in emergency situations (quenching, evacuation etc).

Quality cartridge cost is about 15-20% of budget version of fume hood.

Good all-around cartdriges are ABEK with dust filter P.
The higher number with the letter, the better protection it gives.

[Edited on 20-11-2020 by outer_limits]

Ideally if i had my own space to do my chemistry stuff i'd build a fume hood. But we're a big family household and it's a shared space that i do everything in, my brother often needs it for work. So i wouldn't want to build a fume hood at this point in time if i'd have to build and unbuild it everytime i wanted to do something.

I might try and find/ design something that would be quick to assemble. But for the time being i'm just gonna get a respirator. Thank you for the advice and recommendations!
hasani10
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-11-2020 at 05:18

Quote: Originally posted by teodor  
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...

Thanks teodor :)
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2020 at 02:07

I use scott promask with ABEK-P filter. It just filters everything I have exposed to so far. I replace the cartridges annually, though and store them in air proof ziploc when not in use.
katyushaslab
Hazard to Self

Mood: precipitating

[*] posted on 19-1-2021 at 01:14

Also highly recommend the Scott Promask (and those filters). It's not too uncomfortable to wear over longer periods of time, and provides decent protection.

Just be aware that gas masks don't provide a proper seal if you have a bunch of facial hair or whatnot, and you will need to faff about with the straps a bunch.

The MSA Millennium is IMO more comfortable to wear, but at least where I am now based they seem to be nearly unobtanium or extremely expensive.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 20-1-2021 at 01:56

Personally, I recommend a mask that uses standard 40mm Nato filter cartridges.

I like the Scott Promask too; Promask 40. Good design, and it accepts standard 40mm Nato Cartridges. Also, will accept two cartridges at the same time. Bilateral cartridges allow better air flow. Not all Promasks utilize Nato 40mm cartridges.

Respirators/Gasmasks in general, are in short supply right now. I might be able to buy a Promask 40, but not at a discount. Full price only.

I'm using the MSA Ultra Elite, and the MSA Ultraview. Nice mask, the Ultra Elite; very comfortable. PAPR or SCBA units provide extra protection. Reasonably priced, if you know what buy.

Isreali masks aren't fancy looking, but they are inexpensive and they work. The Isrealis make great cartridge too. Standard 40 mm Nato.

Bromine? Trap vapor. Build a hood. Don't get it on your skin.

There are worse things.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSA-Ultra-Elite-Respirator-Air-Mask...

That one ain't bad. It has an adaptor on it that allows use of additional types of filters. The adaptor comes out, and the mask accepts a standard 40mm Nato filter.

This is decent mask too. How big is your face?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSA-Ultravue-Single-Port-Full-Face-...

In the USA? Common here.

Pre-owned? Not really a problem. The mask is built to be disassembled and rinsed out with diluted Clorox. Parts are available. It's industrial/cop/fire-department quality.

Original retail prices... very high.

[Edited on 20-1-2021 by zed]

Go To Top