National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 22-11-2020 at 23:31
Attempt to make antimony thioiodide

Atomistry describes antimony thioiodide SbSI, following this link:

http://antimony.atomistry.com/antimony_thioiodide.html

I tried to make this salt going by the equation:

SbI3 + Sb2S3 = 3SbSI

- 1g SbI3 (made some 10 months ago but seemed to keep well) and 0.9g Sb2S3 (made a few days ago) grinded together in a mortar and then transferred in a small crucible. This should have been an excess of Sb2S3; I dont trust my scale completely when it gets to decimals of a gram! Photo below of the crucible prior to heating.
1.jpg - 417kB

- Crucible placed in a sand bath with lid on, sand heated to around 150C.
- After some 10 minutes at this temperature there seemed to be no reaction.
- Sand heated to max for my hotplate - indicated sand temperature around 290C. Maintained for 30 minutes.
- Lift the lid of the crucible - purple smoke! Replace lid and allow to cool slowly.
- Once cool, remove lid and see many wafer thin red plates on the bottom of the lid; photo below.
2.jpg - 659kB

- Crucible had more of the red crystals deposited on the sides plus some dark material in the bottom; covered by more crystals. Photo below. Maybe the reaction was still ongoing when I switched off the heat.
3.jpg - 521kB

- Scrape all the crystals into a small pile. When powdered, the color is darker red.
4.jpg - 455kB

Recovery was 1.2g of red crystals.

If anyone knows SbSI, is this what it looks like? Before I try some tests, I thought to wait to hear the feedback from members.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 23-11-2020 at 00:54

I'm not sure, but it could also just be SbI3. Hard to tell from pictures alone. I think you really need to test the material, but how it is tested is something I do not know. I never read about SbSI.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top