Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nickel Chloride Crystallization
artemov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 06:47
Nickel Chloride Crystallization

I made some nickel chloride solution (using pure nickel coins, H2O2 and HCl) from which I am trying to get the hexahydrate crystals via slow evaporation in open air.

Unfortunately I just found out that "the nickel chlorides are deliquescent, absorbing moisture from the air to form a solution" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel(II)_chloride)

Can a hygroscopic salt crystallized via slow evaporation in the open air? If not, what can I do besides heating/boiling the solution, something I am reluctant to do? Cheers.
CarlSagans_RayGuns
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 07:07

Have you tried putting it in a sealed bag with magnesium sulfate desiccant? You might still need a little bit of heat. I dry mine in open air over a heating pad. Wear a respirator and nitrile gloves, no biggie. You want to avoid breathing the dust.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 07:22

Hygroscopic salts can only be dried in open air when the relative humidity is below a certain threshold. In a closed container with for example magnesium sulfate or calcium chloride you will bring down the humidity so far, the salt will dry. Under vacuum the salt dries faster, but with a little patience any closed container will do.
MidLifeChemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: precipitatory

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 08:05

>> If not, what can I do besides heating/boiling the solution, something I am reluctant to do?

Is it because you are worried about the quality of the crystals, or some other reason?
artemov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 08:06

There is still a lot of water currently. I think I will wait for the water/hcl to reduce by a fair amount first before doing the dessicating box thing. Thanks guy!

MidLifeChemist: for safety reason

[Edited on 24-11-2020 by artemov]

Go To Top