Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  25    27    29  30
Author: Subject: Science equipment looking for a home
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 18:17

Just found another working Corning stir/hotplate as well as 2 older but working variacs. I would ask $120 plus shipping for the hotplate, as it is in great working condition and fairly new, and I would ask $80 plus shipping for the variacs (these are 2 prong plug, non-grounded units). I also just found a box of some nice, pretty clean, large 3 prong clamps, Fischer Castaloy style and several others others. They would be $12 each, plus shipping, plus $5 for a bosshead/clamp holder. These are some of the nicest ones I have found in a while.

20210207_174738 Corning 421.jpg - 985kB 20210207_163818 old variac smaller.jpg - 1.3MB
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2021 at 18:17

Have some sad news. My friend Ed passed away last week at 96 years.

He was my first chemistry mentor, reagents and materials source, and he gave me my first chemistry job, helping at his small company. He also was the source of much of the glassware I have been selling, from the fluorochemical company that he later formed that eventually closed, due to a long series of events.

Ed grew up in New England, went to college there, and then got pulled into WWII where he was a radio operator in India, but he never saw the combat that so many others did. After the war, he went to graduate school at Duke on the GI Bill, and learned all about fluorine chemistry, which was quite new due to the use of fluorine in the atomic program. He worked for a number of companies, government research groups, and then started his own company, making special fluorine chemicals.

He eventually joined with a few other small companies to start a larger fluorochemical company in the 1990's, buying a nice, but old research facility, which turned out to be highly polluted from previous owners, creating EPA issues that eventually closed the bussiness. When the business closed, Ed got the glassware and library, which he tried to sell over the newly popular internet back in the early 2000 period. That's what started me into the book and glassware businesses. There are many other stories, some pretty amazing or wild, but many similar to Max Gergal's books. I'll have to post some as I have time.

Ed was quite comfortable with his life and eventual death. A year ago we talked and he knew that his health was failing, as was his mind. But he said that he had had a long, fruitful, and exciting life, and had no regrets. He said that he was happy with whatever happened, as he had had a great time, and got to see one of the most amazing times in history. He had a Model T in graduate school, moving up to Mustangs, jaguars, and many other fun cars. His wife and he travelled around many years on vacations, seeing many places in the world. His wife passed away about 10 years ago, and lived with a niece since.

I want to thank everyone who bought books and glassware, which helped him afford to live well on his SS and other savings. He asked me to keep giving his share to his niece as she is also taking care of her ailing husband now. I'm still finding interesting things while helping his niece clean out the last of his stuff.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-6-2021 at 23:22

sounds like Ed was a big part of your life - my condolences for your loss.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 04:08

Sorry for the loss, sounds like a good solid man, and glad to hear he was able to be at peace in the end!

Glad his legacy will live on!
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2021 at 04:51

Dr. Bob,
I didn't know if I should just email you directly however, since we haven't emailed in a while I figured I'd leave you a message here. I am very sorry to hear about your friend, there is little I or anyone could say to reduce the blow, so I will leave it with I feel for you. I hope you and your people are doing well otherwise.

M.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2021 at 04:08

Thanks for the notes. I just felt like posting it somewhere, as he out lived most of his friends and family, so the are few people left to tell that knew him well. And this place is somewhat theraputic to those us us that like science more than an average amount. There are few people I know that understand the desire to tinker and experiment at home, and Ed was clearly one of them, but this is the only other place I know poeple like that. All but a few of the professionals I work with have no interest in science outside of work.

Bob
hikerjohnson
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-6-2021 at 06:01
Sympathy

Dr. Bob, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Like most of us I suspect, I work in a technical field, and also find the number of co-workers who see the magic in what we do to be quite small. Folks like that are a treasure, and to be kept close. *hug*
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2021 at 16:42

just found another box of lab clamps. Mostly large 3 prong ones, about 10 or 12, some like new, some more worn, a few medium 3 prong ones, some like new text tube type ones, and a few other ones. if you were looking for clamps, this is a good chance to get some. Earliest orders get the best of the items.

Also pulled out my box of mortars and pestles, so they are heavy but ship well via flat rate boxes, like the clamps. I also have a bunch of loose test tubes, so I can do a bag of them for $1 each, i have a variety of them, 16 x 150 mm normal, some screw top ones, some 13 x 100 mm normal and screw top, etc.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2021 at 17:50

Also just found a box of runner stoppers, from 00 to about 12 or so, some are solid, some have one hole, and a few have 2 holes. If anyone wants an assortment of them, I can do a sandwhich bag of assorted ones (about 15 or so) for $5. I can also try to find specific ones, but would prefer to just do a bag of them, and try to onclude certain ones if I can. Hope everyone is staying well.
Billydee63
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 09:34

Do you have any hot plate/ magnetic stirrer left Dr Bob?
Billydee63
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 09:51

Do you have any hot plate/ magnetic stirrer left Dr Bob?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2021 at 15:30

I don't think I have any good stirring hotplates currently, but I do have a stirrer only left right now. I have a few stirring hotplates that I need to repair or diagnose still, so one of these days I will have a few more. If anyone wants to try to fix one, I can probably sell one cheap or I have some parts and items for salvage left that I can sell cheap. I do have several variacs left that work.
chemical_agent
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-8-2021 at 21:15

Sorry about your loss Dr. Bob.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2021 at 08:39

Now that Christmas is over, I am trying to do some Spring Cleaning early in the books area.

I have the following sets of books which I would like to sell for postage only, which will be about $10 via media mail for 10-15 pounds of books.

First is Set A, a box of organic books, about a dozen, some old, some older, but a few classics that any organic chejmist should have. I will pick from whomever asks based on their actuiial use of these, so actrual students in chemistry get priority, but younger people are also fine. If multiple people ask, I can likely make a second box fo similair books, as I have duplicates of some.

Set B is a mix of analytical books on HPLC, Chromatography, spectroscopy, and more. If you are interested in a certain area, I can try to add more of those.

Next, I have Set C, about two boxes worth of math books, which I will break into two sets most likely, covering many areas, but with a pile of statical based books as well, just let me know if you prefer straight math, computers, geeky math, or statistics more.

For Set D, I have a pile of old electronics books, guides, and such, some may be obsolete, but not sure. If you have an interest in NMR, I have a few books on that, more on the electronic side, as well as Techtronix 2465 Ocilliscope Servcice manual if anyone wants it.

I am looking to gather together some more sets, which might include biochemistry, environment and pollution, toxicology, general chemistry books/old texbooks, and maybe pharmaceutical/medicinal chemistry. I still have a lot of old books to give away, so let me know if you are ever driving through NC and I will let you fill your car...
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2022 at 14:31

I have found a home for some of the chemistry books, and have a few more people interested, btu I still have two boxes plus of math books, going to try to find them a home one more time here, and if not, i will donate them elsewhere, as I am long past running out of space for books. Here is a photo ofmost of them, there are more scattered about of similar topics. I could fit up to about half of them in a single box, which would cost about $10-15 to ship but that is all i would ask for them.

The Wolfram book on "A new kind of science" is about computer algorithm and fractal based math, ideal for flaming math and science geeks, I read it years ago, and it was pretty interesting. the mathematica book is a guide for the aplication, which was writen by Wolfram and is amazing, solving math problems in amazing ways. So great for anyone who loves math. (Mathematica not included).

I will keep looking for sets of books to offer, as I have more books than most people can imagine.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2022 at 16:45

I have some photos of some jacketed reactors that i took for someone a while back and then they never bought any. So I will post them here, and see if anyone is interested in them. i haven't set firm prices, but would be interested in any offers and will try to figure out some prices soon.

DSCN6724  jacketed flask.JPG - 871kB DSCN7209   reactor top.JPG - 565kB DSCN8984.JPG - 1.5MB [file]92630[/file] DSCN8989.JPG - 1.5MB

[Edited on 1-3-2022 by Dr.Bob]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2022 at 11:33

Note, I will be away from my PC a little while, so please be patient if you are trying to contact me, I will eventually get back to you. Hope everyone stays safe and that we can avoid world war 3 and get back to the lab everywhere.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-5-2022 at 16:23

I have a bunch of odd round bottom flasks left that I would like to sell cheap. if you have any interest, please send me a u2u or create a post and let me know what you would pay. if I accept, I would add postage to that, but most of these might be $5-10, other then the largest ones. A few of these I sat aside for people a while back, but they never sold, so I want to clean out my shipping area.

The list is below:

A) 3 L Pyrex brand rbf with 45/50 center joint, 2 side 24/40 joints, bottom half of flask is etched inside - I normally ask $40, I will take half or best offer

B) 1L Pyrex brand rbf with 34/45 center joint, 2 side 24/40 joints, bottom half of flask is slightly dirty or etched inside - I already have a 24/40 F to 34/45 m bushing adapter with it, so ready to go for 24/40 chemistry. Normally $20 in all 24/40 but again, I will take half or best offer.

C) 500 ml Pyrex brand rbf with 34/45 center joint, 2 side 24/40 joints, bottom half of flask is scratched or etched a bit inside - I can include with B) for a token amount extra

D) 500 ml Kontes brand rbf with 34/45 center joint, 2 side 24/40 joints, flask is nearly new looking.

E) 500 ml Kontes brand rbf with 45/50 center joint, 2 side 24/40 joints, flask is nearly new looking. I can throw it in with A) for a small amount more.

F) 500 ml Pyrex brand rbf with 24/40 center joint, 1 side 19/38 joint, flaask is in very good condition.

G) 500 ml kontex brand rbf with 24/40 center joint, 1 side 10/30 (thermometer) joint, flaask is in like new condition. I think I have a couple of these, ideal for real time temp monitoring.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2022 at 09:36

A is gone, and B is pending.

Still have lots of 29/42 glassware if anyone is interested. Lots of 3 necked flasks in 250 and 500 ml, some other sizes, and plus many pieces of kit to go with the flasks.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2022 at 17:58

someone asked me about a sublimation apparatus a little while ago, can't rememeb who, but it is was you, I just found a small one, about 1.5 x 10 mm inside chilled tube. Somewhere I have a large one, not sure where right now. But send me a note if it was you.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2022 at 07:27

i'll be travelling again for the next week or so, so if you try to contact me, I will have poor access to internet while away. But will answer all notes as soon as I can. Will also try to update my spreadsheet soon then.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2022 at 17:56

Finally back from my trip and caught up some. I was asked about thermometers, so I have updated my list of therms and will post it below, with some updates on the inventory in general. Thanks to all for their patience.

Attachment: Glassware Inventory Aug 2022.xls (79kB)
This file has been downloaded 259 times

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2022 at 16:10

I just put together a 1/2" alumninum rod latticework system for someone, and while I was at it, I found the parts for a second one as well. If anyone has thought about such a system, and wants one, I can provide enough materials to make a 3 x 4' lattice, with 4 x 3' rods, and 3 x 4' rods, plus 12 connectors and 4 feet. I am asking $100 for the entire kit, all parts are used, but usuable or better condition. The rods have a few stains or spots on them, but are easy to clean with some 150 to 400 grit sand paper. I have cleaned them some, but they show a little use. The shipping would be from $10 to $20 from NC, depending on the location.

I only have a few good large 3 prong clamps left, including some nice ones, for $12 each, no medium or small ones left right now. Lots of broken ones and corroded bossheads left.

I also am putting together some kits of 5 smaller grad cylinders, with 5, 10, 25, 50 and 100 ml sizes, for $15 plus postage, which should be under $10. I have a few larger ones left, but not many.

I also found three more 4 L erlenmeyer flasks, for $20 each, plus shipping, these are likely the last ones I have.

[Edited on 9-9-2022 by Dr.Bob]
Gammatron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-9-2022 at 18:27

Just wanted to give a shoutout to Dr. Bob! Super nice guy with quality equipment at good prices! He also helped me get some long wanted chemicals and took some excess glassware off my hands. Definitely happy to do business with him.

Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2022 at 06:17

That was a good story about your friend Dr. Bob. Sorry for your loss.
 Pages:  1  ..  25    27    29  30

Go To Top