Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Selenium Nitride
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 21:54
Selenium Nitride

Here is an interesting energetic compound
Selenium nitride obtained as a brick-red amorphous powder which, when dry, is highly explosive, detonating violently on slight touch, forming a cloud of red selenium; it is considerably more sensitive than mercury fulminate.

12SeCl4 + 64NH3 = 3Se4N4 + 48NH4Cl + 2N2.

first obtained in 1859 by saturating selenium tetrachloride with ammonia in the cold
2. may also be prepared by passing a stream of dry ammonia into a 2 to 4 per cent, solution of selenyl chloride in benzene. 
3. The action of liquid ammonia on selenium tetrabromide in the presence of carbon disulphide gives a good yield of the nitride.

Source atomistry.com

[Edited on 5-12-2020 by symboom]

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 06:49

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  
Here is an interesting energetic compound
Selenium nitride obtained as a brick-red amorphous powder which, when dry, is highly explosive, detonating violently on slight touch, forming a cloud of red selenium; it is considerably more sensitive than mercury fulminate.

12SeCl4 + 64NH3 = 3Se4N4 + 48NH4Cl + 2N2.

first obtained in 1859 by saturating selenium tetrachloride with ammonia in the cold
2. may also be prepared by passing a stream of dry ammonia into a 2 to 4 per cent, solution of selenyl chloride in benzene. 
3. The action of liquid ammonia on selenium tetrabromide in the presence of carbon disulphide gives a good yield of the nitride.

Source atomistry.com

[Edited on 5-12-2020 by symboom]

Very interesting compound. I know it is a orange-yellow solid. I have selenium and selenium dioxide but not tetrabromode or tetrachloride. Have you tried to do it?
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 07:27

I tried making selenyl chloride in benzene. But the product had too much water in it. I was adding HCl gas to selenium and selenium dioxide (made from the reaction of hydrogen peroxide and selenium) in a solution of benzene. I made the HCl gas with hydrochloric acid on calcium chloride I guess I need a drying tube instead of just adding calcium chloride chunks to the tube that leads to the reaction.

I assume the process will be simular to this compound Sulfur Nitride in preparation but sensitive like nitrogen triiodide

https://youtu.be/I-ZawsbYpmo

I don't know if I'm ready for the cloud of ammonium chloride from the resulting reaction though.

[Edited on 7-12-2020 by symboom]
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 08:16

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  
I tried making selenyl chloride in benzene. But the product had too much water in it. I was adding HCl gas to selenium and selenium dioxide (made from the reaction of hydrogen peroxide and selenium) in a solution of benzene. I made the HCl gas with hydrochloric acid on calcium chloride I guess I need a drying tube instead of just adding calcium chloride chunks to the tube that leads to the reaction.

I assume the process will be simular to this compound Sulfur Nitride in preparation but sensitive like nitrogen triiodide

https://youtu.be/I-ZawsbYpmo

I don't know if I'm ready for the cloud of ammonium chloride from the resulting reaction though.

[Edited on 7-12-2020 by symboom]

Simplest way is selenium and chlorine. Red or black sellenium of couse is better than granules. I will definitely try. I can buy completely anhydrous ammonia but it is a bit far. I think it would come out because there would be no water.
Yamato71
Hazard to Self

Mood: Resigned

[*] posted on 30-1-2021 at 18:25

You can easily dry benzene by azeotropic distillation. Benzene forms a low boiling (69.5C) azeotrope with water, so when it is distilled, any entrained water will come across in the first fraction. Collect everything that comes across at 80C.

Go To Top