Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crude eye wash
aromaticfanatic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 22:33
Crude eye wash

Something I didn't even really think much of when I started chem was an eye wash station. I know the majority of us probably don't have one either and I stumbled across a few threads that vaguely mentioned any alternatives.

I always wear eye protection but accidents happen. You can accidentally adjust them in the moment of a large spill, have a gap that leaks chemicals in, or the vent holes that some have may also cause leaking.

I figured I'd throw some ideas out (partially came from those threads):

A DIY eye wash attachment. I think if you can make a DIY eye wash attachment from some simple stuff, that'd work wonders. You can make a rubber slip on eye wash onto a faucet that you put on everytime you go into the lab. In the event of an accident, you can rush to the sink and turn on the water and hold your eyes open.

The construction I haven't much thought but I suppose some larger tubing (as to reduce pressure) that splits into a Y is connected to the faucet via some flexible large tubing and maybe some rubber that slips around the faucet head to hold it. Then two tubes come off of the end of the Y at an angle and are adjusted to the eyes. That should work fairly well I think. You won't have the greatest time with all the tap water but I think I'd rather have some tap water irritation than concentrated sulfuric acid in my eyes.

The second idea is two bottles of saline (some people recommend contact lens solution which I think would be good).

I think connecting the two bottles at an angle is a good idea. If you just have two free bottles and you are going blind by the second, I think you might have issues with the whole grabbing, angling, and squeezing thing.

If you don't angle it, it will just splash the chemicals back on top of the solution bottle and some will get back in your eye so you want to be sure to have the bottles shoot at an inward angle at your eyes as to allow the water to drip right below you and not on top of the bottles.

Keep the caps off during lab word and in a safe and sterile place away from possible contamination but still within reach in less than max 10 seconds.

Remember eye damage is directly proportional to the time the chemicals are in your eyes.

I never made the bottle thing yet but after realizing all the times I could have still gotten chemicals in my eyes even with the goggles I have, I decided to make the saline bottle thing. I'm running to the store tomorrow and picking up two bottles and setting it all up. I can try and update with pictures later on if there is enough interest.

Go To Top