Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting into organic chemistry - recommendations?
itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-12-2020 at 20:32
Getting into organic chemistry - recommendations?

So I'm looking to get into organic chemistry. I've dabbled in it in the past, as I've made the acetate esters of every alcohol I've been able to get ahold of and I've oxidized ethanol to acetaldehyde. As my forum signature thing implies, I've had mixed success, though that's mostly due to lack of experience and poor technique. I've recently been looking to get properly into organic chemistry, but I have no clue where to start. Any recommendations? I know basically nothing about organic chemistry, and as a result, don't really know what would be difficult for me to achieve in a home setting, and what wouldn't, especially with my lack of experience in the field. If someone could point me in the right direction, that'd be greatly appreciated. For example, what reagents I should acquire, and what are some good things to do as an introduction to inorganic chem?

Thanks in advance!

Nuclear physics is neat. It's a shame it's so regulated...

Now that I think about it, that's probably a good thing. Still annoying though.
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 26-12-2020 at 22:08

Quote: Originally posted by itsallgoodjames  
I've recently been looking to get properly into organic chemistry, but I have no clue where to start. Any recommendations? I know basically nothing about organic chemistry

Besides practical experimentation very important is theory behind, so you know what is happening and why.
I suggest to start with a good Organic Chemistry textbook, I can recommend you Clayden's Organic Chemistry.

Meanwhile, while going through the textbook you can grab some practical things from any chemistry faculty web page - lab manuals are often available for public. About the technique - there are many university videos showing how to do the things, there are also many descriptions in practical chemistry textbooks and lab manuals
itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-12-2020 at 22:11

Quote: Originally posted by outer_limits  
Quote: Originally posted by itsallgoodjames  
I've recently been looking to get properly into organic chemistry, but I have no clue where to start. Any recommendations? I know basically nothing about organic chemistry

Besides practical experimentation very important is theory behind, so you know what is happening and why.
I suggest to start with a good Organic Chemistry textbook, I can recommend you Clayden's Organic Chemistry.

Meanwhile, while going through the textbook you can grab some practical things from any chemistry faculty web page - lab manuals are often available for public. About the technique - there are many university videos showing how to do the things, there are also many descriptions in practical chemistry textbooks and lab manuals

Thanks, I'll have to look into getting that textbook

Nuclear physics is neat. It's a shame it's so regulated...

Now that I think about it, that's probably a good thing. Still annoying though.
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 26-12-2020 at 23:39

Quote:

Clayden's Organic Chemistry.

http://libgen.rs/book/index.php?md5=AEF6D9EC5C3CE8DE57AC1449...

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health

Go To Top