Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does the island of stability really exist ?
metalresearcher
International Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 29-12-2020 at 10:27
Does the island of stability really exist ?

Some rumors are about this. I think it is wishful thinking. There is no proof of 'stable' isotopes (i.e. half lives more than even a day) of the 100+ elements, except one Dubnium isotope (28 hours). And all 110+ elements even in a fraction of a second.

Completely useless so I guess mankind will never get knowledge of chemical or physical properties of these (actually virtual) elements, unless one makes one of these elements with far less neutrons or no neutrons at all ???
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Taking opportunities to breathe.

[*] posted on 29-12-2020 at 15:16

It probably is a thing. But stability is a relative term.
I think it is probably more like a coral reef in deep water than an actual island. That is, more stable than surrounding isotopes but nothing of any practical use.

(Statement based on intuition only without any supporting evidence. But then, I don't think anyone has evidence so I am not alone in speculating.)
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 30-12-2020 at 14:01

The coral reef analogy is very good.
The most stable isotopes in the 110-116 region have half-lives less than 2 minutes.
But we have not succeeded in making the hypothetical 'more stable' isotopes with higher neutron counts.
Yet.
pantone159
International Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 30-12-2020 at 15:29

I do not think that there any more absolutely stable isotopes: Any such would presumably have been formed in neutron star collisions, and none seem to be around anymore, so I figure the longest half-lives would not exceed perhaps a few hundred million years.

Go To Top