Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gas k3wlery
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 1-1-2021 at 08:20
Gas k3wlery

hey so, fooling around with butane/oxygen in some big plastic cans ive been saving up for new years eve, ive taken the whole thing to the next level, myself having messed up with gas/oxygen mixture and a visco fuse im refusing to mess around with that stuff using a spark emitting fuse
so when i light these things off i use paper with a bit of alcohol on it, no sparks, you can see it burning from afar and it gives you some very easy, cheap and legal ignition
anyhow, turns out paper doesnt burn very well when its raining, so im wondering what mixture could possibly be used to replace paper with alcohol on it? i have thought about rocket candy but thats rather slow burn rate, ive seen RC cast into plastic tubes which basically entirely eliminates the whole issue of it causing sparks, as the sparks are moving in a totally opposite direction of the can where flammable gas might leak out of

could there be a way of speeding up rocket candy? im perfectly aware that i might just be overthinking it as i just upped myself this year by stuffing a piece of fuse through the plastic cans so you dont have to burn down the whole plastic can before it goes off, but rather just catches the fuse and sets the whole thing off

for safety reasons, you want it to be a very solid mixture, like one that is cast so theres no airholes in it and the combustion cant by any means jump ahead of itself, a mix of rocket candy/golden powder could probably work except it tends to selfignite at quite low temperatures
also, wrapping up externally burning fuses have been the cause for some people to blow their hands off, this was the case with one eastern european teenager that wrapped a blackmatch fuse up in a plastic straw, and after being ignited the hot gasses filled up the straw and it turned into a quickmatch

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-1-2021 at 22:27

Sounds pretty kewl.
If you drag a strip of teflon tape through aluminum powder, static electricity retains a proportional ratio of Al/PTFE that is still highly energetic. You don't want to inhale the gasses produced from PTFE combustion in pyrolysis it produces PFIB which is more deadly than phosgene, there is likely small amounts produced when it combusts in a kewl/random fashion.. be warned,, it burns very fast. In sintered Al/PTFE comps of certain ratios it has a VOD of ~3300m/s. You could pull a long strip to get a safe standoff though. I dont recommend a lighter. Al/PTFE is very hot. Best to use a torch to keep hands clear. If it's raining, it might be possible to put the Al/PTFE strip in between some duck tape to make water proof, that may increase the PFIB production though. Not sure. Maybe someday all these fancy pro-labs can conduct some kewl-research and then we'll know for sure.

Go To Top