Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Manganese gluconate (& other gluconates)
Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 14-1-2021 at 22:42
Manganese gluconate (& other gluconates)

I was wondering how strongly pink manganese gluconate would be, so made it to find out! A hot calcium gluconate solution (solubility increases greatly near boiling) was mixed with a manganese sulphate solution in stoichiometric amounts; solution immediately became cloudy but it was stirred for some 15 minutes. After stirring a white ppt of presumably calcium sulphate quickly settled:
1.jpg - 368kB

The solution was filtered and the filtrate boiled down to around 40ml. It was then transferred to a steam bath. A white with pale pink crust crystalized out and dried easily on the steam bath. The was this crystallized out of solution was a surprise, as both cobalt gluconate and copper gluconate when made similarly dried to a sticky mess that then had to boiled with xylene to get a dry free flowing salt (as reported elsewhere referenced below).
2.jpg - 473kB

After crushing the product was looked a lot less pink! Yield was over 90%.
3.jpg - 502kB

My earlier brief post on copper gluconate can be find here:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=16586&...

And cobalt here:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=78561&...

I don't think these are particularly interesting compounds but I thought good to get the pictures out as example of what the salts looks like. I will add to this post as I make gluconates.

4.jpg - 485kB
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 14-1-2021 at 22:54

Lot of manganese(II) salts are not very interesting in colour, because they are just white. A made manganese phosphate and ammonium manganese phosphate and they both look the same. Triammonium hexamolybdatomanganate(II) was big surprise to me, because it is orange (unlike manganese(II) molybdate which is white). Anyway, nice collection of gluconates!

Go To Top