Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ampoules and others label design for printing
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 02:52
Ampoules and others label design for printing

Hi. What do you think to discuss here the design of labels that are cheaper to print than to buy (for example NFPA704 stickers). If you have any ideas write here. I'm sure you will have better ideas too. This is good, but not perfect.

CdS. K3CrO8. Cu2[HgI2Br2]. Sc2(SeO3)3
IMG_20210201_144317.jpg - 3.2MB

IMG_20210201_144356.jpg - 2.6MB

IMG_20210201_144917.jpg - 2.9MB

[Edited on 1-2-2021 by vano]

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 03:01

The labels are good-looking, but for the small ampoules I would make them smaller. You only see little part of the compound with these labels. I would like to see 90% or so of the compound, and just have a small label.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 03:12

I agree with Woelen, smaller labels would be better.

I personaly don't add safety labels on any container with chemical. When I store something, I already know risks.

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 03:18

Yes I know it is a large size but I did it with a tablet and I could not calculate the size. That's why I think it would be good to discuss size an other things here.

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 04:13

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  

I personaly don't add safety labels on any container with chemical. When I store something, I already know risks.

Yes, I am too. This is the first time I have written. Basically I write only the name with a marker. Often the names are messy too, but I know at a glance. When you are in constant contact with the chemicals, you do not need safety signs, but it is just nice.

Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 04:29

I just mean, that in the case of ampules you save lots of space. On a bottle there is a planty of space for safety labels, but space on an ampule is quite limited.

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 05:03

I've made my own label for bottles and I just scale it down to fit a need. I have made three different sized ones so far, one full-sized, one for smaller bottles and then one for the very small ones. Printer can easily produce very small font size, so that'd be no issue.

I have created templates for them to be printed, and I just refill all the text and pictograms as needed. As I save them in new files, I can just print more later if I need. I already have a collection of about 50 different labels.

Only downside is that it's b&w, but the GHS pictograms are all the same anyway. If I'd buy a color printer I could print all fancy colored ones.

[Edited on 1-2-2021 by Fyndium]
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 05:26

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
I've made my own label for bottles and I just scale it down to fit a need. I have made three different sized ones so far, one full-sized, one for smaller bottles and then one for the very small ones. Printer can easily produce very small font size, so that'd be no issue.

I have created templates for them to be printed, and I just refill all the text and pictograms as needed. As I save them in new files, I can just print more later if I need. I already have a collection of about 50 different labels.

Only downside is that it's b&w, but the GHS pictograms are all the same anyway. If I'd buy a color printer I could print all fancy colored ones.

Can you share labels?

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 05:32

Instead I'd rather tell that by simply making a background template with windows paint, collecting GHS labels into one file and copy-pasting these into openoffice writer will produce a very good result IMO. Three labels will fit perfectly into an A4-sized page, and text can be manually adjusted by size to position to match the label's need.

It's how I did it. Difficult to scale and needs some manual adjustments, but produces quite competitive results when only small amounts are needed on occasion, comparing it to any costly software, or merely buying a plethora of stickers that may or may not fit your needs. Oh, I happened to make some extra-random complex salt? Order a sticker for it? Not otc, must be custom-ordered, costs 28$ + shipping and takes 4 weeks to arrive. Hand-text it to your bottles? Stock looks like meth lab or grandma's jelly stash, no matter how you try to avoid it.

Bonus is that all your resources look uniform when you've got similar stickers on every one of them, instead a circus of labels.

PS. Good plastic containers for powders can be obtained from laundry packages. They range from 200 to 1000mL in size and are cylindrical. The labels are easy to peel off by filling it with boiling water.

valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 05:40

I suggest you use Libre Office and dowload the free SVG gallery

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/extensions/show/galler...

Also, I use old EEC orange pictograms. Better looking, compact, more visible. And add only relevant ones (T, T+). Attached you find an example, print that on normal paper or adhesive paper with a laser printer and cut them out.

If you make a similar file (I have a 33 page one that won't upload due to size) I suggest you go with 1.6x1.6, 1x1 and 0.6x0.6 cm. I have made plenty label templates over the years but now I stick to single pictograms and handwritten sticky labels

[Edited on 1-2-2021 by valeg96]

Attachment: Pittogrammi.pdf (528kB)
This file has been downloaded 240 times

Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 06:04

Quote: Originally posted by valeg96  
Also, I use old EEC orange pictograms. Better looking, compact, more visible. And add only relevant ones (T, T+).

I also think that orange pictograms look better :D. I have lots of 30, 40 maybe even 50 years old chemicals which have these orange symbols.

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 06:11

Seems to be a personal taste. I thought they were cool when I was younger, but nowadays I associate the GHS to be a more modern option, the older appear a bit murky to me.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 06:34

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
I have lots of 30, 40 maybe even 50 years old chemicals which have these orange symbols.

I also have very old compounds. Basically every chemicals has Soviet-era labels. I always throw them and write the formula with a marker. The funny thing is that no matter what the compound is, None of this mentions how dangerous the compound is, be it uranyl nitrate or potassium chloride labels are same.

It is a 40-50 years old NH6PO4, It looks like sugar.
received_237858278012453.jpeg - 48kB

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 07:04

There are som chemicals. That’s how big the difference is. The first compounds from the right are very old packaging. In the middle are new, acids are poured into similar bottles. On the left you know that there are new ones. Of course the new packaging is very nice, the old ones are all glass and sometimes heavier than the substance that is inside, so when I come to another house, it is very difficult to transport. The new ones are beautiful and the information is included. That’s why I don’t like Soviet packaging.

There are so many different age glassware and substances in my lab, you can't tell if this is antique or modern lab.

received_1873930569426245.jpeg - 50kB

valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 09:12

It is generally a bad idea to remove original labels, for many reasons, mostly the fact that you lose all information regarding purity, assay, brand, origin and without a label you can't trace the product or show a potential buyer that what they buy is legit. For the same reason it is not advisable to mix together identical chemicals from different bottles or brands, or repackage chemicals if not needed. Also, original labels are much more resistant to water, humidity and solvents, or the generic nasty vapours you have in a lab; homemade labels last much less. So yeah, keep the original ones, vano.

Once you lose the original label you can't be sure about the content, and in many laboratories anything that is unlabeled or has lost its label, or was repackaged with unreadable labeling (e.g. permanent markers) is disposed of.

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 09:31

Trust me it is not a bad idea. Nothing special is written on Soviet chemicals label. Look at this old photo with nothing written on it important. It is magnesium sulfate. The funny thing is that even if it were uranium dioxide, even then the label would be similar, no warning is given, and for example, if you buy sodium chloride from American brands, it is even written that it irritates the eyes, and so on.

Screenshot_20210201-212211.jpeg - 759kB

valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 09:52

You are free to do as you please, but there are plenty reasons why nobody does it in a real laboratory, and unlabeled chemicals are sometimes even disposed of. On an economic pov, they also lose value if you were to sell them and if they are vintage. I personally bought many cheap chemicals I didn't need only because of their vintage look. I would just add a small label on the side, and keep the original label.

Some home chemists I know won't even buy unsealed chemicals, let alone custom labeled ones!

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 10:00

Valeg you are right. I agree with you. However, the main thing is that the name may appear, as you can see, nothing important is written on the label. It may look old on the outside, but the product is incredibly clean always.

Here's what it looks like.

IMG_20210201_215443.jpg - 2.7MB

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 10:16

If chemicals are supplied in an original, undamaged package with original labels, this would be the ideal situation. I have never discarded an actual chemical package, instead I've reused them actually, for example I have 2.5L methanol glass bottle that I've refilled with fuel grade methanol a few times.

For an amateur, situation is less ideal many times. Many "chemicals" are sourced from otc stuff, and "Oxi-Clean" or "Shake-n-Bake kitchen soda" or "Longlife Anti-Freeze" are not regarded as labels, IMO.

Vintage containers I would more likely just put for looks to the upper shelf and let collect dust there. Stuff that I use I want to be expendable.

Commercial or official laboratory is a totally different environment in this matter. They must follow high standards, and they also can just order everything they need in bulk, and repackaging stuff is out of question. This applies to labs that do not produce anything physical, but rather some analysis results, etc.

But in production labs, not sure how they store chemicals and intermediates for synthesis runs that they produce? Do they have reuseable containers or do they use them only once, batch-wise? Mass production always has pre-designed containers and usually separate packing lines, but this is a different matter.

valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 10:26

I also don't discard original packaging, I simply don't take off the original labeling because I don't like their looks. You lose any kind of traceability and it's also less interesting if vintage or potentially for sale. I have boxes of empty containers, caps and lids, but when a chemical is in his original packaging I see no reason to alter that. I even keep original containers and refill them, with just a small tape label saying "Technical grade" or "Hardware store".

I'm a lot for preservation, and probably a bit OCD on this topic.

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2021 at 10:47

I am not going to sell these substances, so it does not matter if it will be in a PET container or in a glass bottle. Nothing personal, I hate the Soviet Union, so I do not want the label to be written in Russian when I can write label in Georgian.

Go To Top