Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Questions about making hydrazine by ketazine process (ammonia, MEK, and bleach)
seilgu
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2021 at 21:49
Questions about making hydrazine by ketazine process (ammonia, MEK, and bleach)

I have tried the urea bleach gelatin process and it worked for me.
Now I'm trying the ketazine-bleach process, I'm following
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB7vwIFCnR0
using half the proportions.

I did the experiment 3 times. My yield is extremely low that I'm barely seeing any ketazine layer on top.

I start by adding 125 ml of 25% ammonia water (from an old bottle). Then followed by 50 mL of methyl ethyl ketone. Mixed with a stirrer bar for a few minutes (upon stopping the layers soon separate so I kept stirring). Then for the first two experiments I added 155g (about 130 ml) of 6% bleach in batches to the mixture. For the 3rd experiment I used a funnel to slowly drip the bleach. Everything is done at room temperature about 20C.

I noticed that there's not much gas production as I added the bleach.

For the first 2 experiments in which the bleach was added in batches, the solution at first was pretty clear but when I stop stirring, it went cloudy for a while before turning clear again.

In my 3rd experiment in which the bleach was slowly dripped, the solution first turned cloudy at the beginning of the addition, but after half of the bleach was added, the solution turned clear, almost like water even after I stop stirring. There are streams of tiny bubbles nucleating from the solution like that of champagne. Some bubbles adhere to the stir bar.

And strangely I got the best yield in the 1st experiment, about 0.5mm of ketazine layer in the 500 ml beaker. In my 2nd experiment I got only a few drops like oil floating on top. I'm still waiting for my 3rd experiment to separate into layers but since there's not much gas generation I don't think it'll work.

Then my question is of course why I'm getting almost nothing out of it. In the NurdRage video he's using a very dirty stir bar so I don't think it's related to metal ions.

Go To Top