Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uranium acting really weird. Maybe something is complexing with it?
itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

shocked.gif posted on 17-3-2021 at 19:30
Uranium acting really weird. Maybe something is complexing with it?

I recently received a radioactive rock from a friend. I wanted to determine if it was U or Th, so I scratched off a few of the black specks, then dissolved them in around 0.5ml of aqua regia. The solution went yellow as expected, and was observed to be fluorescent, again, as expected. It was dissolving slowly, so it was heated to it's boiling point with a hot air gun and stirred by repeatedly sucking it into and out of a pipette. By the end of this the solution was a brilliant lemon-peel-yellow color. After it had cooled I added ammonia. After all the acid was neutralized, some pumpkin-orange material precipitated. I continued adding ammonia, but then it all re-dissolved and the solution became colorless. My first thought is that maybe ammonium diuranate is soluble alkaline solutions, as the pH was 11, so I added a bit of HCl to bring the pH back down to neutral. While the solution became yellow again, no precipitate was observed. My next thought was maybe there was now too much water. It was then boiled to dryness. A light yellow mass, obviously mostly ammonium chloride with a little bit of uranyl chloride and nitrate was observed.

So umm, what happened? My only guess is that maybe the uranium containing rock had something else in it that complexed with the uranium to keep it in solution, but I have absolutely no proof for that, or any idea as to what it could even be that did that.

I'm pretty perplexed as to what could have happened. I've worked with uranium before, and it's never behaved like this. The fact that the solution went colorless is also kind of odd. Uranium tends to produce very vivid colors in solution.

20210317_205059.jpg - 132kB

Attached is a photo of the solution right after I put the rock in, but before the solution was boiled.

20210317_205344.jpg - 286kB

A picture of the rock the uranium came from. The black spots are much more visible to the eye than they are through the camera. It registers about 120cpm on my awful geiger counter, around 12-15 times background. It should be noted that my geiger counter can only pick up gamma and high energy beta, so most of the radiation isn't getting detected. Still, it is without a doubt radioactive.

Edit - I should note that the boiled down mass will likely just go in my uranium waste bin, as it's not worth saving and purifying 50mg or so of uranium compounds. I'm just curious as to what happened.

[Edited on 18-3-2021 by itsallgoodjames]

Nuclear physics is neat. It's a shame it's so regulated...

Now that I think about it, that's probably a good thing. Still annoying though.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-3-2021 at 00:48

Could there be carbonate in your ammonia solution?
itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-3-2021 at 04:42

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Could there be carbonate in your ammonia solution?

I don't think so. It's technical grade, but I doubt there's any carbonates in there. Maybe there is some calcium carbonate or something in the rock?

njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 18-3-2021 at 05:56

Any carbonate would've been destroyed by the aqua regia though, right?

Reflux condenser?? I barely know her!
itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-3-2021 at 06:07

Quote: Originally posted by njl  
Any carbonate would've been destroyed by the aqua regia though, right?

You would think so... That's partially why I'm confused. There shouldn't really be any impurities that would complex with it and keep it in solution, much less turn colorless

Go To Top