Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lab decommission in VIC Australia
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-4-2021 at 23:21
Lab decommission in VIC Australia

I have been approached by a SM member who wishes to remain anonymous; at least for now. He has been given the job of disposing of a lab full of stuff. I am guessing it is wrapping up an estate or something similar.

From what he has said so far, it sounds like he has about a week to work with so time is of the essence. Unless he can find good homes, i gather that a lot will be disposed of.

Items mentioned so far include
  • acids in litre+ quantities: hydrochloric, sulfuric, nitric, GAA
  • solvents Et2O, ethyl acetate, acetone
  • assorted salts and other inorganics -- lead salts, rare earths, not sure what else

• glassware including flasks, soxhlets, retorts (sounds like quite a pile of stuff.)

He still has two full rooms to clear. I guess there will be more chems, glassware and equipment to come.

He is a bit overwhelmed with the quantity and nature of what he is finding. I gather he is mostly looking at disposal but he wants to do the right thing with valuable items and those that present various hazards. Some may find its way to gumtree.

If there is someone who lives close by (and I don't have exact location) you may be able to take items off his hands. Or, there may be some giveaways/cheap items if shipping can be arranged.

So, calling for interested Aussies, Victorians in particular. (a) to help out this guy. (b) to find suitable homes for lab items.
    Tdep
    National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 01:05

I'm not super close but you know I'm always keen to waste some hard earned cash on science equipment that I may or may not end up using. So keep me in the loop thanks!
    draculic acid69
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 02:18

I could use a bottle of gaa if there willing to ship. Let me know if this is a possibility.also let me know what else is there

[Edited on 26-4-2021 by draculic acid69]

[Edited on 26-4-2021 by draculic acid69]
    caput_mortuum
    Harmless

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 03:38

hi all,

thanks j_sum for the thread. I would like to clear some things up (this is a really emotional time for me as it is some dear friends and teachers lab that I am packing down, so many memories :'( so my message to j_sum was not very clear )

The labware is accounted for already, sorry

The only things that will be up for grabs is the acids, solvents and some rare earth minerals that are not wanted by anyone on the site. I cannot vouch for the age of them. I only know what is written on the label. All bottles with a label are reagent grade, from an australian chem company, as far as I can tell. the others with the symbols are nitric acid (N) and hydrochloric acid (H) of unknown origin - i think. If they dont go, many will be disposed of. That is, in my opinion, a waste. All I ask is a reasonable offer. That offer could be anything btw... and that you come pick it up on friday morning.

draculic acid69 I may be able to ship you some GAA. i'll let you know tomorrow

here are some of the acids, hcl, nitric and sulphuric. I think the solvents are from the same company. more pictures and an inventory to come in the following days, if people are interested.

thanks all

PXL_20210426_043947698.jpg - 990kB PXL_20210426_043936635.jpg - 913kB PXL_20210426_044003085.jpg - 1009kB PXL_20210426_043956494.jpg - 986kB PXL_20210426_044013132.jpg - 1MB
    unionised
    International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 03:54

Not a very relevant questionbut...
    In the UK the BDH brand was bought out in the mid 70s.
    Was that also true in Australia? Are those really old bottles?
    caput_mortuum
    Harmless

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 04:15

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
    Not a very relevant questionbut...
    In the UK the BDH brand was bought out in the mid 70s.
    Was that also true in Australia? Are those really old bottles?

They could be. I honestly have no idea on the age of these things

Some of the glassware here is old. Some stuff I know comes from the early 80s , possibly earlier (they were doing their thing for over 40 years). Some things i've never seen in a lab catalogue (wait for the glassware identification thread to explode soon - 3 rooms packed like a clown car, its never ending) so it wouldnt surprise me if these are that old
    Texium
    Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 10:07

I've seen the BDH logo on brand new solvents in the US, but I think it was cobranded with VWR. Those definitely look like they could be from the 70s.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
    They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
    j_sum1
    Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 27-4-2021 at 17:17

Just bumping this.
    I have had U2U from three or four Victorians so there should be ample support for this task. I suggest you guys coordinate. (I sent one of you a U2U with the identities of the others.)

caput, do let us know how it is going. Two more rooms to clear out sounds like a big deal.
    J.
    caput_mortuum
    Harmless

[*] posted on 28-4-2021 at 01:37

thanks j_sum

its actually going really well. just about all of the glassware is packed and taken to storage. im now down to the experiments - mostly lots of herbal extractions going back to the late 80s in some cases. I'm so tired tho!!!!

the minerals are also packed and mostly in storage

at a later date i may end up sending some minerals on to people who would make use of them. some of them are really pretty.

I will probably put up some glassware for identification and sale, providing none of the others who are involved with the people whos estate it is wants anything - i must respect the wishes of the original owners)

I have a ton of antimony, lead and sulphur in many forms

I do have all the acids and solvents mentioned above. i dont have experience with them so anyone who wants them can have them, as i dont feel comfortable putting them in storage or even transporting them. I have not had a good few years and if i am going to die, its most likely due to dietyltether cracking on the drive home and exploding, just as i get a dream lab. well. if its fast thats actually not so bad. at least i'll make the news :D :D
    caput_mortuum
    Harmless

[*] posted on 28-4-2021 at 01:42

hey j_sum i dont see the u2u from you :(

Go To Top