Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Citrix Acid from Mg citrate tablets ?
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 02:41
Citrix Acid from Mg citrate tablets ?

I have some dietary supplement / vitamin pills containing Mg citrate.

I have heard that Citric acid can be made from lemon juice by first making Na citrate using NaOH and then preciptiating Ca citrate by adding a CaCl2 solution.

Well, Mg citrate is water soluble, so I might dissolve it and then precipitate Ca citrate with CaCl2 solution and then isolate it with concentrated H2SO4 ?
Infamous_Reddy
Harmless

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 03:26

Yes, this is a viable method to synthesise Citric acid if you had pure Magnesium citrate. But, it usually contains a lot more than just Magnesium Citrate; a lot of pill filler and other chemicals. It would be helpful if you at least tell us the composition of your pills. Also, instead of going through all of the hassle, you can just buy Citric acid from your local grocery/pharmacy store or get it online as it is relatively cheap.

But, if you could separate Magnesium citrate from the pills, as you said, you can mix solutions of Magnesium citrate and Calcium chloride to make Calcium citrate and Magnesium chloride and filter the solution. After that, you can add Sulphuric acid to the Calcium citrate to produce Citric acid and Calcium sulphate. Filter the solution again and you will be left with a solution of Citric acid. I recommend recrystallizing it.

[Edited on 1-5-2021 by Infamous_Reddy]

Go To Top