Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 35% H2O2 in Sk, Canada
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2021 at 08:32
35% H2O2 in Sk, Canada

Well, you now need to show ID and give a purpose as to why you're buying 35% H2O2.

I just had to buy a new 1L bottle of it, then I was told due to some thing happening in Winnipeg, MB. They now need to record this info.

Does any one here know what that was? I tried to find it by news searches.

Was painless I just gave them my drivers license and told them it was for cleaning (True statement, #Fentins reagent)
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2021 at 16:28

Do you have any heating apparatus and a borosilicate beaker? I had that issue with finding anything above 9% (and that was as hair bleach). What I did was four 2, 500ml bottles of 3% USP solution (available at any pharmacy) and put the heat to around 75 or 80 degrees Celsius. The entire process was very, very slow, with around 15 hours to evaporate off the water, but the end result was that I was left with 50ml of 32 to 36% H2O2. I actually got quite a few bottles and spent several days to make a 500ml of around 34% H2O2.

I know it's slow and laborious and you don't produce large amounts of the stuff, but it was quite effective. I recently used it to clean up some drain opener resulting in a crystal clear acid.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2021 at 18:13

just buy 35%. I did that, just this time they asked for an ID and a reason, I was surprised to see that, as it was very new thing, I was more surprised they wheren't to begin with!

Most health food stores carry food grade 35% to cater to the "Just drink bleach" crowd.

They sell 1L bottles and 4L jugs, I usually just get 1L as it lasts me ages, 4L would decompose long befor I ever used it up!

[Edited on 1-6-2021 by XeonTheMGPony]
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2021 at 19:08

Where is the challenge in that though? I mean if you can buy all the chemicals outright the challenge of extraction and purifying is gone.

I mean if there was a physical store I could walk into that sold 98% in giant 4L bottles for a small price I think I would feel far less accomplished than I would in taking contaminated drain opener and cleaning it up.

I don't know if I ended up with 98% exactly, but I think it is far more than the 93% and what I have is enough for my purposes.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 1-6-2021 at 06:05

The way I see it, there are a lot more fun challenges out there than concentrating peroxide or cleaning up sulfuric acid. Xeon probably also recognizes this and has other experiments he’d rather do than spending several days boiling down 3% peroxide. Less time spent on those mundane and tedious challenges = more time to spend on the more exciting stuff. Not to belittle your accomplishment. I’m glad that you were successful and feel accomplished, but you don’t have to go around acting like others are inferior for not doing what you did.

I think if you are able to buy good, useful chemicals, you should, and consider yourself lucky. The more chemicals that you can buy in pure form, the more time you can spend on the projects you’re most interested in, and the more you can trust the quality of your reagents.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2021 at 08:43

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
The way I see it, there are a lot more fun challenges out there than concentrating peroxide or cleaning up sulfuric acid. Xeon probably also recognizes this and has other experiments he’d rather do than spending several days boiling down 3% peroxide. Less time spent on those mundane and tedious challenges = more time to spend on the more exciting stuff. Not to belittle your accomplishment. I’m glad that you were successful and feel accomplished, but you don’t have to go around acting like others are inferior for not doing what you did.

I think if you are able to buy good, useful chemicals, you should, and consider yourself lucky. The more chemicals that you can buy in pure form, the more time you can spend on the projects you’re most interested in, and the more you can trust the quality of your reagents.

This above, doing it once as an experience and for practice is great, after that I have more important things to do, I just ordered 500ml of glacial acetic acid, made it once too, now I got better things to do then to:

Make Sodium Acetate, purify and filter, dry, purify sulfuric acid, concentrate, then carefully react then distill, then re distill from fused Sodium Acetate to make Glacial Acetic acid

Now does ANY one know what big incident that happened in Canada involving H2O2 in the news last year or so?
paulll
Hazard to Self

Mood: It's fine. Really.

[*] posted on 1-6-2021 at 10:49

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/tatp-residue-winnipe...

Maybe this?
Not exactly fresh but it could be that restrictions resulting from it took a while to roll out - or, more likely, it could have been dug up as an excuse.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2021 at 12:08

That probably was it then, because the lady where I get the peroxide said this all came up after some incident in Winnipeg!

Thanks, Thank fully what they want is simple enough, just an ID and a stated purpose and it is kept in a little book onsite.

I said I use it for cleaning, which is true, just not in the way they're used too!

Go To Top