Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: separating hexane and methyl acetate?
BauArf56
Hazard to Self

Mood: energetic

[*] posted on 31-5-2021 at 08:02
separating hexane and methyl acetate?

i discovered that a very common multipurpose solvent sold here is mainly made of hexane, n-hexane and methyl acetate. Now i want to separate them, as they are both very useful (i want to use methyl acetate as a source of methanol). I thought about salting out MeOAc with calcium chloride, the same method for separating ethyl acetate and alcohol. The problem is that hexane should be immiscible with water, so i don't know if it would work. Any ideas?
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 31-5-2021 at 09:26

You'd probably be better off extracting the methyl acetate with water- it's not very soluble, but it's much more soluble than hexanes.

Alternatively, you could hydrolyze the ester with sodium hydroxide while it's mixed with the hexanes, giving you methanol and hexanes, which would be much easier to separate.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 31-5-2021 at 10:16

Hydrolyzing the methyl acetate would make it would make it much simpler to separate. Methanol and hexanes are actually immiscible on their own, and having water present will just make that difference even greater!

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
BauArf56
Hazard to Self

Mood: energetic

[*] posted on 26-6-2021 at 03:06

how can i tell if the windshield wiper fluid has methanol in it? It has a flammable label, but i have no idea for telling if it's just ethanol or methanol.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 26-6-2021 at 05:03

Quote: Originally posted by BauArf56  
how can i tell if the windshield wiper fluid has methanol in it? It has a flammable label, but i have no idea for telling if it's just ethanol or methanol.

You should search the name of the product online, and potentially any product identification numbers, and see if there's a corresponding MSDS or other named safety sheet.

Go To Top