Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sulfer light [lack of better title]
Iv4
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-2-2004 at 03:59
Sulfer light [lack of better title]

Just a rough idea but is it popssible that sulfer could be used like iodine in a COIL or AGIL?

Like something gives energy to sulfer causing it to give of light?

I'm going to research AGIL lasers further but what do you think?
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2004 at 08:07

Maybe, but its next to impossible to speculate what would make a good laser line.

In general, any spectral line that gives off large amounts of light in a non laser situation will be next to useless in a laser. Bright lines have short half lifes, its why theyre bright. Short half lifes are the enimy of creating a population inversion, needed to make a laser work.

In rare cases you can create very fast pulse lasers using short halflife lines, but these tend not be that useful. eg nitrogen. Eximers (more usuallu exeplex) are the only general class that avoids this issue, by having a neer zero ground state population.

In the case of something like COIL you have to be very lucky to find a lasing species and a chemical pump source that can feed it.
guaguanco
Hazard to Others

Mood: heterocyclic

[*] posted on 24-2-2004 at 09:27

Like this one, perhaps?
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 24-2-2004 at 12:56
An aside....

don't beleive the hype about the sulfur light being the cure to all lighting ills.

That is a manufacturers website, Sulfur lights produce about 90-95 lumens per watt and are VERY pricey.

High Pressure Sodium produce 140-145 lumens per watt, Metal Halide produce ~110 lumens per watt.
Both HID's are quite inexpensive.

And on that website size comparison, they show an HID with the accompanying outer saftey shell bulb, They show the sulfur bulb without its attendant saftey devices.

Indoor growers agree, Sulfur bulbs are a technological curiosity. Not particularly suitable to most practical lighting applications

EDIT: they also claim that a sulfur bulb produces 20 percent more light than a 1000 watt metal halide, they neglect to mention that the sulfur bulb is using 1450 watts of power to do it.

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by Hermes_Trismegistus]

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2004 at 10:27

I would have to say that I like good old fashion high intensity discharge lights the best. However, a good high intensity discharge light bulb is far from inexpensive. 100+ U.S. dollars for a 400watt bulb.

N/A
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2004 at 13:46
A hundred bucks for an HID is only pricey if you're a child on an allowance

and even the thousand watt HID's cost less than two hundred.

The sulfur bulb's first production run's Suggested Retail was 4500 dollars US.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Iv4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-2-2004 at 05:33
WTF hapend to my post!?

I must have forgeten to send it :(

Anyways yes I was referring to something like that lamp.I was thinking that NCl3 or something coulkd be added to the added to the sulfer.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 10:45

Nah, the sulfur lamp uses a magnetron (microwave generator) to excite sulfur atoms in an inert atmosphere. I also looked at the web page, and among all the marketing dribble, I read "snake oil" between the lines.

But I also now plan to use an old microwave to burn sulfur in my H2SO4 plant, so some good has come out of it.

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 12:27

No, the sulfur lamp is no "snake oil". The drawback in the nowadays implementation of this technique is the magnetron used - simple the magnetron from a household microwave which was never designed for such an use. But progress in microwave applications is running VERY fast so you can count the days until low-cost, low weight, solid-state microwavegenerators are available - as a byproduct from wireless datatransmission - which are much more energy efficient as these magnetrons now are.
This will be the day the sulfurlamps will boom. They will need about one third of the primary energy as now and they produce almost daylight - perfect for all working areas.
We all will see this happen - soon.
:o

Irgendwas is ja immer
Quantum
Hazard to Others

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 18:43

Hermes_Trismegistus:
Quote:

EDIT: they also claim that a sulfur bulb produces 20 percent more light than a 1000 watt metal halide, they neglect to mention that the sulfur bulb is using 1450 watts of power to do it.

Yet from the site:
Quote:

Each bulb, about the size of a golf ball, requires about 1,425 watts of power to produce 135,000 lumens of white light. The correlated color temprature is 5,700 degrees Kelvin with a CRI of 79.

What you say again?

What if, what is isn\'t true?
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 20:25
Sigh!

Ok Quantum......I'll run you through it again.

1000 watt metal halide-------110,000 lumens.

1450 watt sulfur bulb---------135,000 lumens.
~20 % more light produced from ~50% more electricity.

Maybe in the future it will be more efficient, but today it is not.

(I am repeating myself, because I assume english is not your first language)

P.S. Other bulbs are even more efficient than MH(but Metal Halide has a lovely blue/white light conducive to the vegetative phase of growing plants)

1000 watt High Pressure sodium------140,000 lumens(with a spectrum more similar to Sulfur it is the best spectrum to initiate flowering)

***1000 watt Low pressure sodium----179,000 lumens.

***From these figures(I think I remember LPS correctly) it would seem that Low Pressure Sodium is the best. But it gives off almost all its light in a single narrow wavelength band that is useless for growing plants because it makes them flower immediately and grow tall and stringy.
(Its only common use, is as those annoying orange, glaring streetlights, you sometimes see on highways and in the larger parking lots.)

tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 21:20

Thats the first time I have ever heard of a low pressure sodium light. They sound crappy.

N/A
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 21:57
Everything has its place...

When you are a city council using HID's by the thousands upon thousands...

being able to space your lights an extra fifty feet apart saves millions.

and having brighter streetlamps saves lives.

Iv4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-3-2004 at 06:51
Die magnetron!

DEath to the magnetron!

I was thinking of the Ncl3 because AGIL uses something like that(wel ion one experimntal version).Usually HN3 and Cl are used along with iodine.The HN3 and Cl form NCl3 which gives 'power' to the iodine.

Go To Top