Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NEY MARK IV DIGITAL VACUUM OVEN
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2021 at 05:57
NEY MARK IV DIGITAL VACUUM OVEN

I really wish I could change my name here SHADYCHASE54, what the hell was I thinking?

Any way a while back I picked up a vacuum muffle furnace the internal chamber looks to be unused while the control panel is some what used but in perfect working condition. As I stated it is a NEY model: "MARK IV Digital" vacuum chamber max temp. 2200f or 1200c approx.

I have a couple questions does anyone know where I can find an operation manual on this furnace? I've looked but had no luck. Also as it is a dental furnace with a minimal heating area 48inĀ³ l=6" w=4" h=2" what can I use it for?

So far the only uses for it that I can come up with are catalyst prep. Salt dehydration, and small amounts of precious metal melting? If anyone else has similar equipment I'd love to hear what uses you've come up with.

I am a little bit concerned about just pressing buttons and turning dials hence my desire to find a manual. I would dearly love to have the dials explained to me so I use the furnace properly, not damaging the equipment.

I still need a muffle furnace or small kiln should I just sell this off and put the cash in savings for the next piece of equipment. Any suggestions are appreciated be well S.M

SHADY(fing)CHASE54

IMG_20210719_073613.jpg - 2.6MB

IMG_20210719_073523.jpg - 2.6MB

IMG_20210719_073537.jpg - 2.3MB

IMG_20210719_073543.jpg - 2.2MB

IMG_20210719_073605.jpg - 2.6MB

[Edited on 19-7-2021 by SHADYCHASE54]
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2021 at 16:23

As I didn't get any responses on this topic I would also ask if anyone could tell me what the dial switch on the left hand side of the controller is? If it isn't clear enough Ill take another picture. It heats up with it set at 0 so I just would like to know it's function is.

Thank you for any help.

IMG_20210719_073537.jpg - 2.3MB
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2021 at 23:54

What a nice vacuum oven, i would keep it and look for a manual.
The left dial says "minutes", maybe if a value is set it runs for that period of time if the timer button is pressed, just a guess.
You could use it for drying, hi-temp reactions, melting metals and lots of fun stuff that is hard to do without something like this oven.

If you need a muffle furnace or small kiln i would suggest building a electric variant oven/kiln yourself.
You need:
Hi-temp bricks, PID temp controller, SSR (solid state relay), Temp sensor and a Coil with heating wire.

There are lots of build videos on youtube for these types of ovens/kilns, its not so hard to do.
And the principle is the same for a electric kiln, tube furnace and other variants.
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2021 at 06:08

Yes you are probably right about keeping it, as I am unlikely to find another locally for the price I paid and no shipping. It is just that I really want a rotary evaporator and ah... nevermind. Thank you for responding and giving your opinion. Regarding a muffle furnace I probably will just build one after I finish upgrading a Thermolyne f-21100 analog tube furnace I bought as well. Unfortunately the temperature gauge is destroyed and I have been unable to find an analog gauge of similar dimensions that doesn't cost $125+. My thinking is, if I can't find a replacement temp. reader, is to gut the internals and connect the tube through a PID, SSR while still using the old thermocouple as it looks to be in good condition, obviously I will have to test it.

I guess I ought to ask here on S.M, does anyone have an analog temp. reader 0-1200c that would fit in the forementioned tube furnace. I've included a couple pictures of the same type of tube furnace, as you can see the type temp. gauge I would like to buy is in the pics so if anyone has an old one gathering dust send me a price, please.

Once again I appreciate your responding to my post and offering your opinions.

downloadfile.jpg - 23kB

downloadfile-3.jpg - 29kB

[Edited on 21-7-2021 by SHADYCHASE54]

Go To Top