Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: What happened to NileRed, NurdRage, Chemplayer and Doug?
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 07:01
What happened to NileRed, NurdRage, Chemplayer and Doug?

Have they all walked away from chemistry? :p

Even a French-speaking YT channel (‘à fond les ballons’) has suddenly put up the shutters in the middle of a series of videos about phenol nitrations.

Weird.
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 07:14

Methinks they are casualties of YT's continued war on hobby chemists.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 08:23

Quote: Originally posted by ShotBored  
Methinks they are casualties of YT's continued war on hobby chemists.

But they could’ve moved to some different video platform. They’re nowhere to be seen, really.
Belowzero
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 08:34

Some of them are members here so one of them might be able to personally weigh in!?
Bitchute is quite like youtube in the old days, I know some have moved there or use it as a 'backup'.

I am still not sure if I should continue my channel on yt because of legal reasons and censorship issues.
It's a lot of work and the risk of getting kicked off anytime is high but it is where the traffic is at..
Building a brand new channel on alternative platforms is almost impossible atm.
YT will go the way of the dinosaur once the only non offensive content consists of cat videos..

[Edited on 13-8-2021 by Belowzero]

My new youtube channel, primary focus will be on industrial chemistry: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQNj8r14-dyi4mlyenLwnaw/vid...
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 09:39

Quote:

YT will go the way of the dinosaur once the only non offensive content consists of cat videos..

It's not about "offensive", it's about liability. YT isn't concerned about chemistry content-makers potentially injuring themselves in the pursuit of their hobby; they are concerned about impressionable people watching and attempting to mimic what they see, injuring themselves, and then suing YT for letting them view that content. I may not agree with YT's attack on hobby chemistry, but I understand it.

I know it's super duper cool nowadays to pretend like everything is the fault of the "offended, woke" folk, but let's be real about what actually drives corporate policies.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 13:23

NileRed still makes videos, just building yet another new lab, so is going slow, he still uploads shorts on his NileRed shorts channel.

Chemplayer has been kicked off YouTube and have a BitChute channel. They have a little story as to where they went on there I believe.
https://www.bitchute.com/channel/2vWmMgSEZ2jf/

NerdRage did a series on Nitric Acid a few months ago, and last thing I knew he was setting up a lab too.

Tom from Extractions and Fire had a little thing in one of his Extractions and Ire videos explaining a bit about it, but I believe why he quit is still a bit of a mystery.

There are other great channels though
PoorMans Chemist
Vibbz Lab
BackYardScience2000
FullModern Alchemist
And others as well.

Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 18:41

Tom from Explosions and Fire upload new videos. Latest video on his Extractions and Ire is two weeks old. He had few months pause because he don't have time due to study. But two months ago he start upload new videos again.

YT become more and more dicks. They even try to elict copy of your identity card to "verify your age". If you don't do this, you cannot see certain videos (for example Tom's video on tetrazoles). I don't know how in US, but in my country this YT demands are illegal.

[Edited on 14-8-2021 by Bedlasky]

Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 22:41

For sure, I should have mentioned him too, I was more listing the newer people, the ones the OP mentioned were the godfathers along with Tom of YT chemistry. Of course other godfathers UC235, Myst32 and others I haven't mentioned.

I have considered that if I make any significant videos, I will just host them on my web host for free, people can donate if they like, but I don't care if I get donations or not, but I don't really wanna use YT any further than I have.

[Edited on 14-8-2021 by Syn the Sizer]

Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 23:27

Thanks for the input.

I was a bit disappointed with late NileRed productions. He seems to have taken a turn towards, say, ‘fun’ things – more physics than chemistry. I was expecting him to go into more intricate synthesis given he had such a great laboratory to work in, but he seems to have taken the opposite path, which is a bummer, IMHO.

Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2021 at 23:59

I do agree, he has the resources to do some amazing stuff, but he dehydrates MgSO4. Now his shorts are just remakes and reedits of his older videos.

Some people say it is because he is setting up his new lab, not sure. Though I did see somewhere that he was planning a major synth and it was another edible chem.

My fingers are crossed that it is something great and not another letdown.

Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-8-2021 at 00:21

I’m not sure what kind of better lab he can set up, really. Unless he has found that the luxury estate he’s been renting was too expensive, after all.

On the other hand, you can’t expect him to live off his YT chemistry videos forever. Especially also if he has to support whoever is working with him (his brother?).

[Edited on 14-8-2021 by Keras]
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-8-2021 at 18:00

NileRed hasn't left... But it seems like he's really taken down his experiments a gear or two. I mean his transparent wood one was neat. But his latest several are just basically old videos he's already done but slightly different (eg: his bromine one, or his grape soda from gloves, he's done both before), or he does silly stuff like dehydrating magnesium sulfate or "does cyanide really smell". I don't consider the last two very interesting (or even chemistry...), but I suppose they're low hanging fruit and he gets a lot of $ for them from patreon (which I am on his patreon.. so I guess I kinda paid for them, lol).

Oh, and he seems to be on a "NileRed Shorts" binge lately. So im sure those take a lot of time to make. They're neat, but I wish he would go back to his old videos :-(

[Edited on 15-8-2021 by SuperOxide]

karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 14-8-2021 at 18:02

If you ask me, chemplayer did the right thing, and he was smart enough to notice what was going to happen a year or even two in advance.

E: *cough* bitchute *cough*

[Edited on 15-8-2021 by karlos³]

verrückt und wissenschaftlich
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-8-2021 at 00:39

Quote: Originally posted by SuperOxide  
NileRed hasn't left... But it seems like he's really taken down his experiments a gear or two. I mean his transparent wood one was neat. But his latest several are just basically old videos he's already done but slightly different (eg: his bromine one, or his grape soda from gloves, he's done both before), or he does silly stuff like dehydrating magnesium sulfate or "does cyanide really smell". I don't consider the last two very interesting (or even chemistry...), but I suppose they're low hanging fruit and he gets a lot of $ for them from patreon (which I am on his patreon.. so I guess I kinda paid for them, lol).

I did too, but I’m considering withdrawing my support. That’s not very cool, but upgrading all his lab furniture and accessories like he did to merely capture how a beaker of water explode when you throw molten copper in it, or how make a bismuth knife… Not really the kind of video I’m after…
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-8-2021 at 00:42

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  

Fortunately they were smart enough to also upload all their videos on the Internet archive site for safekeeping. That’s where I usually stream them from.

[Edited on 15-8-2021 by Keras]
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-8-2021 at 07:48

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
I did too, but I’m considering withdrawing my support. That’s not very cool, but upgrading all his lab furniture and accessories like he did to merely capture how a beaker of water explode when you throw molten copper in it, or how make a bismuth knife… Not really the kind of video I’m after…

Glad I'm not the only one whos noticed...

I forgot about the molten metal into water video.. That one was pretty lame as well. Personally, I would think all the non-chemistry ones would go on NileBlue, and the actual chemistry related videos would be on NileRed, the channel that focuses on... you know... chemistry.

Honestly, I just get the feeling he thinks "Hey, I get paid from my patreons for _any_ video... lets start uploading some simple shit... Or just re-making previous videos I've already done and try to pass them off as new stuff" lol.

On his plastic gloves to grape soda video, he says multiple times "Ive never actually done this before, so I wasn't sure if it would work"... Dude, he has separate videos of every part of that synth on his channel (the anthranilic acid one got taken down, but still). So saying he hasn't done any part of that step is silly. It was identical, just on a slightly larger scale.

P.S. I do have to say though, I appreciate his cleanup videos. It seems like he sometimes gets some flack for those (or so I hear) because they're "boring", but I sometimes replicate his videos, and knowing how to responsibly clean up any toxic/poisonous side products help when im researching how to clean up afterwords. Plus, when other amateurs replicate his videos, they're less likely to just flush them down the toilet if they know how to do the cleanup.

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 08:17

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
I’m not sure what kind of better lab he can set up, really. Unless he has found that the luxury estate he’s been renting was too expensive, after all.

On the other hand, you can’t expect him to live off his YT chemistry videos forever. Especially also if he has to support whoever is working with him (his brother?).

[Edited on 14-8-2021 by Keras]

One where he can continue with the physics experiments: throwing things around the lab and breaking them.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 11:18

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
One where he can continue with the physics experiments: throwing things around the lab and breaking them.

Lol, that’s a bit harsh but unfortunately true.

I have cancelled my Patreon support…

BaFuxa
Hazard to Self

Mood: Buzzing

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 13:12

Nile red is in it as a scienctainment show. I stopped watching him 2 years ago.

Doug was great, I always wonder what happened to him.

Nurd is looking for a job last time I checked.

Anyway, youtube is not the place for interesting chemistry anymore. You have to decide wether you want YT money or share and grow your chem skills with other chemists. Just develop elsewhere, it is just a matter of habit, and patience.

Bitchute is acceptable and open minded.

Potential counts for nothing until realized.
Bmoore55
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 16:04

I think everyone is being a bit tough on NileRed, he is currently moving and expanding his lab so that makes it very difficult to put out “new” material. I think he is putting out repeats using the YT shorts to try and keep some income going while he finishes his now lab space. Chemplayer is trapped away from his normal lab due to covid, but I’m sure will be making a comeback once some of the restrictions of removed. In the mean time we still have the silly behavior and quality science supplied by explosions and fire to keep us entertained. He just has to finish that dang thesis…
kulep
Harmless

Mood: Spicy

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 17:46

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
If you ask me, chemplayer did the right thing, and he was smart enough to notice what was going to happen a year or even two in advance.

[Edited on 15-8-2021 by karlos³]

Their youtube channel was taken down (3 strikes).

Nurdrage, Explosions&Fire, Chemplayer and Nilered are active on twitter
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 18:23

Quote: Originally posted by Bmoore55  
I think everyone is being a bit tough on NileRed, he is currently moving and expanding his lab so that makes it very difficult to put out “new” material. I think he is putting out repeats using the YT shorts to try and keep some income going while he finishes his now lab space. Chemplayer is trapped away from his normal lab due to covid, but I’m sure will be making a comeback once some of the restrictions of removed. In the mean time we still have the silly behavior and quality science supplied by explosions and fire to keep us entertained. He just has to finish that dang thesis…

Chemplayer not making videos has nothing to do with COVID, they have not made videos since 2017 maybe early 2018 with one of them making the odd video the last while. In 2018 they were banned from YouTube and started a new channel on BitChute and reuploaded their shit.

this is a quote directly from their BitChute About page.

Quote:

In May 2015, two amateur-chemists decided to start filming their hobby and a journey of learning and discovery. Based at their secret island base location, they pieced together a 'lab' fitting into a small cupboard in a spare kitchen, and filmed over 150 experiments in a "series 1" spanning inorganic, organic and every-day household chemistry.

In mid-2017 the pair sadly departed company to different corners of the world, with one intrepid experimenter determined to keep on the work with occasional videos. They vowed to come together again one day to do "series 2".

Their popular but controversial YouTube channel "ChemPlayer" was banned in April 2018 for crimes against narration and for the gratuitous manufacture of chocolate cake, but has since moved here to BitChute for your continued enjoyment.

The journey continues!

and this is their BitChute channel.

https://www.bitchute.com/channel/2vWmMgSEZ2jf/

Quote: Originally posted by kulep  

Nurdrage, Explosions&Fire, Chemplayer and Nilered are active on twitter

ChemPlayer pops in here occasionally too.

Syn'

[Edited on 18-8-2021 by Syn the Sizer]

Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 22:38

Quote: Originally posted by Bmoore55  
I think everyone is being a bit tough on NileRed, he is currently moving and expanding his lab so that makes it very difficult to put out “new” material.

I'm not sure why he needs an upgraded lab. The premises he worked in during his last videos were already more than luxurious (unless he had a spat with his neighbours). I have cancelled my support, but if he resumes releasing quality videos, I'm more than willing to back him again.
karolus28
Hazard to Self

Mood: zgrzyt

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 05:56

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  

YT become more and more dicks. They even try to elict copy of your identity card to "verify your age". If you don't do this, you cannot see certain videos (for example Tom's video on tetrazoles). I don't know how in US, but in my country this YT demands are illegal.

[Edited on 14-8-2021 by Bedlasky]

There is a way though. I have the same shit happening but I use youtubensfw.com . So basically when you're on an age restricted video, you just add "nsfw" to the url, click enter and it will redirect you to that site. After you click the link below the video should play. The problem is that sometimes the video won't play no matter what you do and the devs don't seem to be able to do anything either.

On a side note, some time ago I made a new account to see if yt will let me watch normally(some people don't have the block, so I thought that yt is doing some beta testing like one group gets the "feature" and the other doesn't), but I had the block anyway, though after some time It just... let me watch the videos without verification

Screenshot from 2021-08-18 15-47-12.png - 55kB Screenshot from 2021-08-18 15-47-25.png - 54kB Screenshot from 2021-08-18 15-47-43.png - 343kB

[Edited on 18-8-2021 by karolus28]
MidLifeChemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: precipitatory

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 06:40

>>What happened to NileRed, NurdRage, Chemplayer and Doug?

Nurdrage has always taken long breaks. Like Doug and Chemplayer, he's probably getting busy with life, work, family, etc.

Regarding NileRed's "new lab", like others have said, he already has the best possible lab you could want for chemistry. If he is moving, it is either because his landlord did not renew the lease, or because he wants to do more general science / less chemistry and needs a different kind of space for what he has planned.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top