Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alternative OTC sources for bromine
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 21:17
Alternative OTC sources for bromine

Due to a shortage of privately owned swimming pools in my country there are very few swimming pool shops and since analogue photography is pretty much a thing of the past, the photography shops don't sell dark room chemicals any more. Are there any other OTC sources for bromides?
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 22:31

Home Depot...

Oh wait what country are you from again?

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
guyp
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 22:40

I would recommend that you seek out pool sanitation products. Namely those involved in chlorine free sanitation of hot tubs. They tend to be fairly pure, albeit classified as technical grade, I have yet to find one that is suitable, that wasn't 98% pure or better.

With a recrystallization, they easily can become very pure. When refluxing the liquid product to near dryness, followed by crystallization, you may find a yellowish hue to the aqueous layer as the bromide salts out.

If you pour this off and redissolve the salt for crystallization, you will find very bright, glittering crystals of fairly pure sodium or potassium bromide depending on the product.

For most intents and purposes, they can be interchangeably used and are pure enough after recrystallization to be used in most synthesis.

Its quite amazing what you can find at a pool and spa supply company with a little searching.

Edit: Good to see you again Sedit, looks like you've beaten me to the punch yet once more. :)

[Edited on 13-3-2011 by guyp]

UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 22:50

Quote: Originally posted by guyp  
I would recommend that you seek out pool sanitation products. Namely those involved in chlorine free sanitation of hot tubs. They tend to be fairly pure, albeit classified as technical grade, I have yet to find one that is suitable, that wasn't 98% pure or better.

With a recrystallization, they easily can become very pure. When refluxing the liquid product to near dryness, followed by crystallization, you may find a yellowish hue to the aqueous layer as the bromide salts out.

If you pour this off and redissolve the salt for crystallization, you will find very bright, glittering crystals of fairly pure sodium or potassium bromide depending on the product.

For most intents and purposes, they can be interchangeably used and are pure enough after recrystallization to be used in most synthesis.

Its quite amazing what you can find at a pool and spa supply company with a little searching.

Edit: Good to see you again Sedit, looks like you've beaten me to the punch yet once more. :)

Do take note that NaBr forms a rather stable dihydrate. Based on wiki, it seems to fall apart above 36C so drying of the salt in a low oven would be recommended.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-3-2011 at 23:39

The only bromine sanitisers I can find in the UK/Ireland are either 1-bromo-3-chloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin or bromochloro-5,5-dimethylimidazolidine-2,4-dione they don't seem to sell chlorine free pool sanitisers around here.

Iguanaopolis
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2011 at 02:32

Silverprint is based in the UK and carries photography chemicals. They have potassium bromide for what seems pretty cheap to me.
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2011 at 07:05

I tried to order from silverprint but they won't ship raw chemicals to Ireland. I ordered some from a UK based pet care website. Its used as an anti epileptic for dogs. This site has a fairly wide range of pure compounds.

[Edited on 13-3-2011 by cnidocyte]

Go To Top