Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shulgis Laboratory
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 18:58
Shulgis Laboratory

.....this was posted by Loft a Vespiary member and wanted to share with members here......solo

Click here: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=Z93pXf9jiWK

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
ChemGlass
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 19:05

This is so cool. Thanks for sharing!
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 19:38

RAD! My boss has one of those those cameras... Although he's only used it on homes for sale. I'd wage none as cool as that lab. It's pretty fun watching a matterport camera work for the first time.

Thanks for sharing a 3D view of complete awesome. Amazing detail.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 19:43

Thanks for sharing

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
17-8-2021 at 19:59
Belowzero
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 20:38

This is really cool indeed.
How not to store chemicals :P !
What a collection!

To my suprise there is no fumehood, just one exhaust fan.
Quite remarkable for such a well stocked lab.
I am also still dependant on a gasmask but that is certainly the first thing that has got to change, annoying and tiresome to walk around with.

[Edited on 18-8-2021 by Belowzero]

My new youtube channel, primary focus will be on industrial chemistry: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQNj8r14-dyi4mlyenLwnaw/vid...
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-8-2021 at 22:01

Wow! Incredible lab, especially the rotovap and schlenk line

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 00:41

Amazing indeed !
There are some unusual and fun items in that lab :)

I love the huge frame for setting up whatever assembly you could dream of.
The sink needs some cleaning though !

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Belowzero
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 01:24

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

I love the huge frame for setting up whatever assembly you could dream of.

Since I will need to move my lab in the near future I was looking for inspiration and I gotta say that such a large frame with both sides accesible is definetely something to adopt.
Perhaps a sink in one of the table tops would finish it up.

Looking around it also reminds me how much skill apart from chemistry is required such as plumbing, engineer, electrical, electronics etc.
Truly a versatile hobby.

Very entertaining to go over all the details in this lab.

My new youtube channel, primary focus will be on industrial chemistry: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQNj8r14-dyi4mlyenLwnaw/vid...
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 07:46

Thank You. A walk to remember.

Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 08:26

Quote: Originally posted by Belowzero  
Since I will need to move my lab in the near future I was looking for inspiration and I gotta say that such a large frame with both sides accesible is definetely something to adopt.
Perhaps a sink in one of the table tops would finish it up.

Looking around it also reminds me how much skill apart from chemistry is required such as plumbing, engineer, electrical, electronics etc.
Truly a versatile hobby.

This is why I love this hobby. I wish I had a lab of my own like that, I only would need the space. What I see missing is a good fume hood and ventilation, which I consider must, because many reactions just produce gaseous side products or are so smelly, toxic or both that you really want to suck them out. A difference between gas chamber and a lab can be very small.

Also, I would make a lot more shelf space to free table space, because all of the tables are literally loaded with stuff, even though useful. To be honest, I would call that an enthusiastic meth shack if I wouldn't know better, as it appears to me very unprofessional to store bottles around floors, loaded tables and stuff like that.

I sound like bitching, what I don't, but personally I like it clean, tidy and in order. Many times when babysitting reactions I actually clean my lab and set everything straight and in order just because I'm bored, and then it looks very neat.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 10:29

Quote: Originally posted by Belowzero  
This is really cool indeed.
How not to store chemicals :P !

That was my thought too.

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Amazing indeed !
The sink needs some cleaning though !

Also what I thought.

Now I also look at this, no fume hood and minimal ventilation lots of narcotics and he still lived to be 88 years old, he was doing something right, maybe the well made drugs clean out the toxins lol

Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 10:35

I did a quick Google and there are quite a few photos of him in his lab too, kinda neat seeing the photos and being able to walk through the lab.

karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 12:17

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
What I see missing is a good fume hood and ventilation, which I consider must, because many reactions just produce gaseous side products or are so smelly, toxic or both that you really want to suck them out. A difference between gas chamber and a lab can be very small.

Consider that his lab was in a shed on his property and not in the house, and combined with the relatively mild climate throghout the year in this part of the states, I figure it might have been just as good to simply open all the doors/windows in the lab and let a mild breeze flow through.

And considered some of the substances he used quite often, e.g. oxalyl chloride, SOCl2 or POCl3 in Tihkal for example, one of them is used in the preparation of every single compound in that book, and all of them are quite obnoxious, corrosive and unhealthy.
Guess, if you're used to this, it could probably be easier.

His lab was, so to say, almost halfway outside.
They must have been quite used over the time to that working space, him, Nichols and whoever joined them at that.... or... have they even done all the work at Shulgins place?

Or, maybe Nichols got his own homelab too.... they worked together in Shulgin's lab after all.... and Nichols is one of the handful of people who also managed to obtain such a DEA-license, up until today if I'm not mistaken.
Maybe thats where some of the magic happened too?
Maybe that hypothetical lab is better equipped?
It probably hasn't even existed back then, considered how young Nichols was at that point... if it even exists now?
Doesn't matter actually, its just distracting :P

The point I wanted to get at, is, everyone who ever had the opportunity to do chemistry outside or similar likewise halfway protected, will understand that this can be a quite effective way to dissipate some nasty clouds very quickly.
And consequentially, when I had an opportunity to work outside and took it, I tended to do things I probably wouldn't even have done with a fume hood on the inside.
With a fume hood, you are of course better protected, but compared with simply ripping all the doors in the lab open, even with just a mellow wind blowing, you can't dilute any gasses as quickly when its in the fume hood.
Especially in case you need to access whats inside the fumehood....

Maybe thats why he doesn't had one?
Or, maybe he even had one and has gotten rid of it, because he considered it impractical with the lab at such a location?

Thats what I would say.
It would probably be different if the lab would have been located inside another building, like most labs everywhere are.
As said, I guess its not really required in a shed like this, or maybe it was rather due to the long experience and good working practice, while being used to the work in that place, that a fume hood didn't seemed neccessary to him(or better, them, including the few others who worked with him in there on occassion)?

It looks comfy and like a nice working space I would enjoy to do stuff in :)
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2021 at 13:21

Good point.

Ultimately my dream home lab would be in a shed a little ways from my house. One never expects a fire but if one breaks out and the fire suppression system fails or is insufficient for the fire, you don't want it to spread to your house. I would want it a little larger than what Shulgin had. Though I would be more than satisfied with his lab.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 19-8-2021 at 20:23

Thanks Solo.

As far as the "cleanliness" of the lab and oh horror no fume hood, well, genius is as genius does I guess. Not that I'm a genius but I could be at home in there. Y'all HAVE seen some of my photos, right?

*edit* for folks unfamiliar with Dr. Sasha......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYlAuf-3t0g

[Edited on 8-20-2021 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Monoamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: +7

[*] posted on 24-8-2021 at 12:25

Great stuff!
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2021 at 00:03

Quote: Originally posted by Syn the Sizer  
[

Now I also look at this, no fume hood and minimal ventilation lots of narcotics and he still lived to be 88 years old, he was doing something right, maybe the well made drugs clean out the toxins lol

Apparently all the scientists who worked with plutonium on the Manhattan project lived well into there eighties
Jenks
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-8-2021 at 05:35

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
Quote: Originally posted by Syn the Sizer  

Apparently all the scientists who worked with plutonium on the Manhattan project lived well into there eighties

It's the dose that makes the poison, and it helps to know what is dangerous. If he worked like me, he was controlling his breath a lot and going out for a snack whenever anything had to be vented.

A window fan can help a lot to at least clear the lab so it can be reentered sooner. I don't know if that little desk fan seen here could be fitted in the window. He wouldn't leave it there all the time for the sake of security. Actually, security was my first thought when I saw the lab - I would have worried, with the publication of his books, about the lab being a target for theft. Fortunately the people interested in theft and the people interested in psychedelics tend to be different crowds.

[Edited on 27-8-2021 by Jenks]

Go To Top