Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How toxic are Beryllium compounds really ?
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2021 at 00:53

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
Beryllium is bad shit. Fifty years ago, we talked about it plenty. I had a buddy that usta built electronic prototypes utilizing power transistors. Apparently Beryllium Oxide has excellent thermal conductivity. Mix it with a little grease. and slather it between your Heat-sink and your Power Transistor.

I have worked in electronics almost 50 years ago but I have never seen a tube of heat sink compound that contained beryllium oxide and never saw an advert for any either.

I briefly worked in one factory where they assembled power supplies that contained a power transistor insulated by an anodised sheet of aluminium. It was a common belief among the assembly workers that the sheet contained poisonous beryllium because of its grey color.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2022 at 11:08

Beryllium (or maybe beryllium salts) is in the tip of some magnetrons from microwaves, where the microwaves are emitted.
I have heard that if the tip is damaged one should be careful, especially if there is dust or fine material from the damaged tip.
Maybe they have stopped using beryllium in magnetrons now but im not sure.
As a side note, i have a beryllium piece about 7 or 8 grams in my element collection.
I will not lick it.
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 16-10-2022 at 15:04

I have a gram of Be spheres in an ampoule in my element collection and also a small 3 gram rod sealed in plastic. I do not foresee a reason to open either one. To me, Be is neither interesting nor desirable. I am sure I can handle it safely but the risks far outweigh the rewards because the rewards are so low.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top