Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: 2021 Secret Santa - Sign up here
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 24-12-2021 at 02:20

I have received a box from Germany, but I'm not at home so I can't open it myself for now. Thank you!

karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 24-12-2021 at 04:10

Quote: Originally posted by MadHatter  
I guess I got lucky. I shipped to my Secret Santa recipient 1st class USPS.
From Maine to Europe was $24.50. I don't consider this expensive for less
than 2 LBS. But a post I've seen here is showing 30+ euro for the
opposite direction ? Always a greedy asshole somewhere ! :mad:

I hope it works out for everyone.
Well, actually the post office lady in my case was very clueless and easily could have looked that up before, and I could repack it a bit differently and could have saved more than half the shipping costs, I found out.
Mine definitely was above these measures, so it got into the higher price class which was .... ~37€.
But it was also above 2kg's.
Which could also have prevented.
I used DHL, but I guess it was the right choice for being on time still.

But could you specify who you mean with the greedy asshole?
The postal service, or me, or what do meant with this? :o
"Showed" as in, I put that on the shipping papers? Of course not then!
I did not put any burden for anything on the receiver.
I paid it, and only grinded my teeth a little doing so, but not because of greed, but because, well, studying.
If I came over as greedy for that reaction then I'm sorry.
Or what did you mean?

Doesn't matter, it got there in time and I just wanted to express my absolute failure to understand(failure to look it up and failure of said post lady, somewhat) how there is no smaller or cheaper parcel size to the states.
Yeah.
But that was not true, I don't know why I believed that woman, but yeah it was lazyness probably.
Before sending not to look it up, and after, for not checking what I've been told.
Not proud on it actually.

The next smallest price class is similar to that from USPS though, even cheaper, up to 2kg, min. 15 x 11 x 1 cm, maximum length + width + depth = 90cm
Damn... and this would have been only 16€.
According to them online.
And, mhm, could this have sufficed, by weight, yeah, maybe, volume, mhmm...
The post office lady though claimed something different... well, well.
Even mixed something up.
There even is a smaller size, but maximum height at one side 3cm, less than 9€.
And she gave me these measures and claimed the 16€'s?
I already said this would not have happened with "my" postal ladies, oh no, they would have sent me back home, likely would have eagerly provided me with an empty parcel of appropriate size too.

But well, lessons that can be felt in the wallet are the most valuable ones, as we all now :D
I actually do not have any place to complain aboout this at all(not a complain, just expressing my shock about the seemingly unreasonably different price), but I could even have adjusted that easily if I just had done this four days earlier as I originally planned.
Oh damn.

But damn!
This will be immensely helpful, that means I can trade reagents with one of my ami pals!
He got a similar price quotation in the range of almost 40$ from there to here too, no idea what postal service though.
Although we also aimed above 2kg's, thats probably the reason.

I still haven't opened mine, I haven't even seen it yet, or received it(sent it to the family, who have it, I even paid the customs fee demanded to at least have a first look at it from distance, but no....
I will do so in the evening though :)

I am very excited :)

verrückt und wissenschaftlich
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 24-12-2021 at 11:22
Greedy

Greedy assholes - shippers taking advantage of Christmas/COVID-19.
They exist.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 24-12-2021 at 12:45

Oh... that makes sense, not even thought of this.

I finally could look into my senders parcel, oh wow!
Exactly what I wished for, so great... I wish here were more suitable lamps to place them dinosaurs under..

Yeah, because I got fluorescent plastic dinosaurs!
I had one among the normal plastic dinos as a kid... now I have... a lot, and I already had put some of the already charged ones here and there, all hidden, even in plain sight, now I just have to wait until its night :D
I guess the joy over these will be quickly over when someone, most likely me, accidentally steps into one of the sharper ones... or such, so I am enjoying it while it lasts! :D

Oh yeah, and the triphenylphosphine I wished for too, which is really great because the stuff we ordered but was not in stock, turned out to not be restocked ever again.
How great I waited until today :)

I have no idea who mine could be though... there's way too many of you coming from that state to guess... but whoever you are, thank you very much, I am delighted :)

verrückt und wissenschaftlich
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 24-12-2021 at 15:13

Amongst much else, was this beauty(!), I was definitely pleased. Not much time to show everything,

16403848058299125301751024888453.jpg - 3MB

Headed out to the coast for Christmas Eve, lots to do. I also received some 3 prong clamps and various glass vials, tubes, plastic snap top vials. It was real nice. Thank you so much Dr. Bob. Hard not to know who it was from when I've bought from you numerous times :)

Merry Christmas one and all. Hope my recipient enjoys all that's been sent. Not saying when, but I know it's/has been, at your door step. I'll check back in later to see how y'all be doing. Till then, have a wonderful evening, hopefully with family and good cheer. Not to mention safely, don't need people losing family members!! That sux :( RIP, I love you MOM ;( ;(
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 24-12-2021 at 18:24

Sweet Geiger counter. That looks like it will be fun, VS.
Take care on the road and have a great tkme with the fam.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-12-2021 at 06:49

The hardest part with shipping is that there are countless options and couriers, but you ain't going to find the best one at the post office, because the workers are clueless and will only offer standard services from your national post system.

You should all check if there is a web service in your country like Packlink for Italy that allows you to send mail via lots of different providers and can arrange pick ups at your address. I sound like a sponsor lmao but I regularly trade stuff with friends over mail and when they go to the post office they spend 16€ when I can get away with 9€ and get a quicker and easier service. You just need a printer, a ruler and a scale, and arrange for a drop off point or a pick up date at your address. Sometimes size and weight categories are different for different providers, so finding a website that compares all the options and allows you to print a label and pay with paypal is great. Last time I had to send a box to the US (40€+ with national post) I found a small courier service that did the same for 20€ or something through this service. If I had gone to the post office they would have skinned me alive.

MadHatter
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2021 at 16:23
Shipping

My brother-in-law is still waiting on 2 items ordered the 1st week
of this month and this is domestic. I had better luck shipping to
Europe. BTW, shirt and a notebook my sister and brother-in-law
gave me for Christmas:
ERLENMEYERS-A.jpg - 598kB CHEMISTRY-A.jpg - 719kB

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 27-12-2021 at 09:49

Due to financial (among other) troubles mine ain't getting mailed til the first (Been in touch so no disappointments), but mine got here TODAY YAY, From Evidently somewhere close to the French /Spanish frontier". Have a "Martini Kit"--Vermouth and Olives, just add gin/vodka, some cockles, limestone from the PARIS CATACOMBS, a piece of teflon sheet, AND a 200ml(ain't measured yet) Glass Pressure Reactor bottle. w00t w00t!!!

Santa, how could you have known a pressure reactor was on my list?

No pics of a sample of sand but it's white and from the mine in the bottom pic.
2021-12-27-103235.jpg - 165kB 2021-12-27-103429.jpg - 174kB 2021-12-27-103023.jpg - 184kB

french sand mine.jpg - 128kB

[Edited on 12-27-2021 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 27-12-2021 at 13:50

Awedome, arkoma

I can't remember who your Santa us, but job well done.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 27-12-2021 at 15:26

Huh, I wonder how they got that limestone out of the catacombs.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 28-12-2021 at 01:25

Here's the other stuff I neglected to post... Because we it takes a while to get out.

16406831614634172442140083960589.jpg - 3.3MB

Good grief what a beautiful sight, and ohh so much thanks goes out to Dr.Bob!! Not only was he my Santa, he helped me play Santa to my recipient. You helped on both ends and I am grateful. I hope your Christmas was indeed a wonderful one with family. Sorry for the delay in proper recognition for your kind gesture.
basement
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-1-2022 at 09:28
Dear Secret Santa

Dear Secret Santa,

excuse my late response. I was visiting family and could only now open your gift. Although initially confused by the listing in your letter, my confusion turned into astonishment reading further. You're a very generous Santa but don't need to be more than you already were!
I was not only pleased by your selection of reagents (for everyone curious: potassium chromate, ammonium dichromate, sodium dichromate, sodium sulfide, trioxane fuel tabs) but by your selection of edible products (love stroopwafels!).
I'm enjoying it right now :)

I will get to your homework too, preparing pure trioxane by sublimation of the OTC fuel tabs. I love some beautiful crystals (but who doesn't?). What a nice idea to include an experiment like that :)

I wish you a happy and healthy New Year!

[Edited on 2-1-2022 by basement]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2022 at 11:17

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

Santa, how could you have known a pressure reactor was on my list?

Santa didnt know :)
(But he did chuckle imagining the end result of the extraction of some funky plant in that flask though).

You missed one teflon item ! Well, four actually ;)
The PTFE clamps should be the last ones you will ever need. They dont corrode, will still work around 200c and were a unobtainium for me for a long time so I was happy to share this find.
They are superior in every way to the disposable plastic ones and click nicely in place (non stick!) compared to steel ones.

If anyone is interested, ask your suppliers if they carry
http://www.cowie.com/

Fun fact: discovered them at the end of Covid year 0. Cowie, Covid. Ok that's dumb...

Quote: Originally posted by Metacelsus  
Huh, I wonder how they got that limestone out of the catacombs.

I looked at my map and had two options to get as close as I could to the Cybele mass, deposit, vein I dont know the english word.

Why that place in particular ? Because Cybele (Ceres) holds the secrets of the earth !

I didnt want to crawl all the way under the insane asylum to the closest point arriving from the north.
Instead, being a lazy bum I chose the walk in the park from the south. Litterally. They put a park there to hide the quarry area that later had turned into slums.

I usually leave rocks as "gifts" under the pillow when I'm invited to stay with friends who are into mines, quarries, speleology, bunkers and all that.
Normally I dont need to go get them. We put stones in each others bags as a joke to see how far will the rock travel. Some travel all the way back to home...

[Edited on 6-1-2022 by Herr Haber]

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Untopped
9-1-2022 at 00:40
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2022 at 18:46

I want to thank arkoma for the box of goodies I got. It took me a few days to get to the package, but there was food, some folk art, and his packing peanuts were pecans, instead of vials and platic bits like I often use. I will have to get my wife, the baker to make something with them, I am not the best baker, but a good cook otherwise, but my wife does the baking. Thanks again for a fun Christmas and New Year. And thanks to Jsum and many others for making the SS program to much fun.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 10-1-2022 at 18:54

Arkoma's pecans are legendary.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 11-1-2022 at 16:18

packing pecans

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-1-2022 at 11:09

I had my parents open the package for me because, as some of you know, I moved to France to work as an assistant researcher.

My secret santa sent me some chocolates (which my father promptly ate because "they will expire") and some chemicals, including a mystery chemical I will try to identify. I am not sure of what's exactly in the box because, well, the average boomer is unable to take photos with their phone, so I just saw some blurry random vials.

I can see some hydrated FeCl3, some beta-naphthylmethylketone and some ethylamine HCl. Nice!

Thank you a lot, and sorry for the super late public feedback!

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-15 at 14.41.22.jpeg - 133kB

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2022 at 12:10

Thank you Santa-hatter for that Davies.
The note was spot on too ! Space is scarce in the lab so that condenser will probably save me from using the 60cm in the picture.

Sorry for the quality of the pic. Believe me when I say it's a beauty :)

Above: 60cm Liebig
Middle: 30 cm Liebig
Below: 30 cm Davies

IMG_3523.JPG - 62kB

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
MadHatter
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2022 at 19:15
Better Picture

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=71645&...
Better picture from an earlier post. Post dated: 2021/11/8. Click on picture for better view.

Glad you like it ! Priced a triple-jacket condenser. EGADS !!! $2480 USD from
Sigma-Aldrich. What would somebody use that for ?

Picture for the curious: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/product/aldrich/z422274

[Edited on 2022/2/2 by MadHatter]

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-2-2022 at 19:41

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Thank you Santa-hatter for that Davies.
The note was spot on too ! Space is scarce in the lab so that condenser will probably save me from using the 60cm in the picture.

Sorry for the quality of the pic. Believe me when I say it's a beauty :)

Above: 60cm Liebig
Middle: 30 cm Liebig
Below: 30 cm Davies

That's a lovely condenser. I am sure you will enjoy using it.
Job well done, Santa.
MadHatter
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-2-2022 at 23:02
Shipping Locations

This order adds to my list of countries I've shipped to. All to members on this
board. Current list: Canada,France, Sweden, United Kingdom. I've never had a
problem. In fact the USPS has screwed up domestic shipping. I sent, in separate
packages, 3 loaves of locally made french bread to my Dad right before
Christmas. 2 of them arrived fine. The 3rd loaf was so late that it was green and
hard as a brick by the time it arrived. This problem occurred at the destination
post office - Baltimore, Maryland. They're notorious for fucking up the mail. Any
other U.S. members had problems with their local post office ?

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top