Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Organoarsenic compound
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2021 at 22:50
Organoarsenic compound

Hi. I have Sulfarsazene i want to make other more useful and interesting organoarsenic compound, because this azo compound isn't useful for me. I will accept any idea.

received_177144784576797.jpeg - 66kB

Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-10-2021 at 08:53

Hi Vano, I an not sure what world constitute "interest" to you but dithionite with cleave the diazo and diazoamino groups to give you sulphanilic acid, p-phenylenediamine and an o-aminophenylarsonic acid. The nature of the latter compound will depend on whether the nitro group in the 5 position is reduced by the dithionite. The nitro group may be resistant enough to survive and leave you with 2-amino-5-nitro-phenylarsonic acid. This later compound can be diazotised and coupled with chromotropic acid to prepare nitroarsenazo I and III (a reagent for Th, U, RE, Ba etc).

Separating the mixture might be difficult but in one of the books in the SM library on dye chemistry there is a section on the analysis of dyes and for azo dyes the reduction of azo dyes to amines and their isolation as a gravimetric means of determining the components from which the azo dyes where made.

The dye itself appears to have been used as a reagent for various metals and there is a fair amount of data available on its use (in Welcher's "Organic Analytical reagents" to which I posted links on SM before).
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2021 at 09:03

Thank you Boffis! I don't have dithionite, which compound can i use instead?

Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2021 at 21:36

The other reducing agent used for splitting azo dyes is stannous chloride but the newer thiourea dioxide may also work. On the forum library is the book "Fundamental principles of dye chemistry" check this out:

http://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/fundamental_...

From about page 400 to 410 it gives an overview of this method and the separation of some of the products.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2021 at 02:37

Thanks Boffis! I tried reduction with atomic hydrogen.

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2021 at 05:11

Don't forget that reduction of arsenic compounds can lead to arsine- which isn't nice.
The Sulfarsazene was probably very pure when it was new, but it's possible that some hydrolysis/ photolysis / whatever will have set some arsenate free over the years.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2021 at 06:12

Thank, yes i know how hazardous it is. This vials were in dark room, also in box. Head of vials were covered with wax, so it's looks like new.

Go To Top