Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acids and Bases in steel industry ?
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 7-11-2021 at 00:57
Acids and Bases in steel industry ?

In some articles and books about steelmaking in general, I read about 'acid' SiO2 slags and 'basic' CaO slags.
I thought that were only valid for aqueous solutions. How does acids and bases work in hot slags ?
Because they are ionic salt solutions where the most abundant salt is the solvent instead of water and the temperature is 1500 C instead of at most 100 C ?
I assume that this is the case but is that true ?
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2021 at 05:50

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid%E2%80%93base_reaction#Lux...
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 7-11-2021 at 12:09

Metal oxides are anhydrides, they form acids and bases with water. And they tend to react in a similar way to produce the same compounds. This concept is also used in cement and refractory chemistry.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-11-2021 at 14:23

I should know because I spent a lot of time on this at uni. But it has been a long time and it is possible that I did not ever get a deep understanding of all the details here.

The general idea is that the purpose of the slag is to separate out impurities in the iron-making and steel-making processes.
In iron-making, the bulk of the slag comes from components of the ore and you do not get much control over its composition. But it is possible to add SiO2 or CaO to control the slag chemistry somewhat.
In the steel-making process, the composition of the slag is controlled more tightly to extract whatever impurities remain in the melt. Depending on what is there, oxygen and/or an inert gas may be bubbled through the melt to react with impurities and float them to the surface.

Slags may also be employed in the casting process - to fine-tune the composition in the tundish or even in the mould.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 01:10

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

Slags may also be employed in the casting process - to fine-tune the composition in the tundish or even in the mould.

Initially I thought the word tundish was a spelling mistake as I do not remember reading it previously but I could not think of a word it was supposed tobe.

So I googled it. Its a gas inlet device. The plumbing version can refer to an anti siphon valve that may contain a one way valve to let air in to the drain system to prevent the water in u bends being sucked out.

[Edited on 11/8/2021 by wg48temp9]

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
30-11-2023 at 10:07

Go To Top