Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Practical experience with beryllium and its compounds
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 27-11-2021 at 19:34

Quote: Originally posted by vano  
Thanks i will read.

Before I made it, I had previously read that it was hydrolyzed in water. I still tried to just mix beryllium nitrate and potassium chromate solutions. To tell you the truth, the yellow chromate precipitate, after that I threw it away, I did not study how much it was hydrolysed. But there also was white hydroxide

[Edited on 27-11-2021 by vano]

[Edited on 27-11-2021 by vano]

What about trying it from K2Cr2O7 and Be(NO3)2!? That could work a lot better.... Even (NH4)2Cr2O7 could provide interesting results... ;)!
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-11-2021 at 22:33

i will try.

Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-11-2021 at 17:06

i will try.

Please send some pictures or video afterwards;)
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2021 at 00:14

Yes, of course.

Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-11-2021 at 17:19

Yes, of course.

I look forward to it!
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 02:43

Nothing much happend. The best way is solid synthesis method.

received_1066136820896660.jpeg - 179kB

Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 15:59

Nothing much happend. The best way is solid synthesis method.

Thank You, Vano!
It's not as simple as I thought, but you worked well;)! Your results, and especially your experience with hydrolysis, have confirmed what is written in the scientific chemistry literature. I'm sending a snippet of a theme I found in the Sciencemadness Library. Do you have some another plan? The sure way is CrO3+BeCO3, with a minimum amount of water...Do you have CrO3?
Normal beryllium chromate, BeCrO4.H2O, was obtained by neutralizing a cone. soln. of chromic acid with beryllium carbonate, and evaporating the liquid. The reddish yellow,monoclinic plates are hydrolyzed by water. B. Bleyer and A. Moormann could not obtain either of the two salts described by B. Glassmann. The precipitation of beryllium sulphate by potassium chromate yields impure, amorphous products of varying composition, whilst the precipitate from the chloride has the composition 15BeO.CrO3.12H2O, independently of the proportions of the reacting substances. Beryllium hydroxide and chromic acid yield only resinous masses,but the clear soln. contains beryllium and chromium in the ratio 1:1. N. A. Orloff obtained 9BeO.BeCrO4.16H2O and 20H2O, and 14BeO.BeCrO4.31H2O, from a soln. of beryllium sulphate and potassium chromate ; 12BeO.BeCrO4.16H2O from a soln. of beryllium hydroxide in chromic acid and potassium chromate; and 5BeO.BeCrO4.14H2O, as a precipitate by adding alcohol to a soln. of beryllium hydroxide in chromic acid. Hence, beryllium chromate is gradually hydrolyzed by water without forming any definite basic salt. H. C. Creuzberg prepared beryllium tridecoxychromate, BeCrO4.13BeO.23H2O, by precipitation.

[Edited on 2-12-2021 by Admagistr]

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 23:06

Thanks. Unfortunately i don't have CrO3, i used all of them, but i will try to find it. I like beryllium carbonate idea. Also I don't have any new ideas about beryllium chemistry, but you can tell me any experiment what you want and i will do it, no prob. If i will make chromate with way you mentioned, then i let you know anyway.

Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-12-2021 at 11:47

Thanks. Unfortunately i don't have CrO3, i used all of them, but i will try to find it. I like beryllium carbonate idea. Also I don't have any new ideas about beryllium chemistry, but you can tell me any experiment what you want and i will do it, no prob. If i will make chromate with way you mentioned, then i let you know anyway.

That's perfect! I have what I believe is a very attractive idea. To create this beryllium aluminate with a small addition of Cr3+ ion as well as a completely different and interesting method. The method is called "Combustion synthésis", and it was discovered by accident, years ago in India. I've never read anywhere its use for synthesizing Al2BeO4:Cr3+, but I believe 100% that it will work!! Beryllium has very similar chemical behaviour to aluminium and when ruby powder is made this way, there's no reason why alexandrite powder can't be made this way!!! Something like "Pharaoh's snake" comes out of the method, and you can leave it as it is, or grind it with water to powder and dry it. It'll be green in sunlight, like emerald, and purple in artificial light at night, like amethyst, changing its colors! You can then put it in a test tube with a stopper and show it to your visitors. Plus, the method has a very spectacular flow, the mixture will heat itself up to more than 1000 C and the hot zone will spread in it, maybe releasing some rusty NO2 fumes. But most of all, the reaction will be over in a few minutes, so you can get the color-change gem in a few minutes!! Isn't that cool!? Tomorrow I'll send you the exact procedure, construct an equation, calculate the necessary quantities. All you're going to need is water, aluminium nitrate, beryllium nitrate, and some chromium nitrate, urea, and possibly, to improve the results and some glycine...
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-12-2021 at 16:10

Quote: Originally posted by Admagistr  

That's perfect! I have what I believe is a very attractive idea. To create this beryllium aluminate with a small addition of Cr3+ ion as well as a completely different and interesting method. The method is called "Combustion synthésis", and it was discovered by accident, years ago in India. I've never read anywhere its use for synthesizing Al2BeO4:Cr3+, but I believe 100% that it will work!! Beryllium has very similar chemical behaviour to aluminium and when ruby powder is made this way, there's no reason why alexandrite powder can't be made this way!!! Something like "Pharaoh's snake" comes out of the method, and you can leave it as it is, or grind it with water to powder and dry it. It'll be green in sunlight, like emerald, and purple in artificial light at night, like amethyst, changing its colors! You can then put it in a test tube with a stopper and show it to your visitors. Plus, the method has a very spectacular flow, the mixture will heat itself up to more than 1000 C and the hot zone will spread in it, maybe releasing some rusty NO2 fumes. But most of all, the reaction will be over in a few minutes, so you can get the color-change gem in a few minutes!! Isn't that cool!? Tomorrow I'll send you the exact procedure, construct an equation, calculate the necessary quantities. All you're going to need is water, aluminium nitrate, beryllium nitrate, and some chromium nitrate, urea, and possibly, to improve the results and some glycine...

It's right here:

6Al(NO3)3.9H2O+3Be(NO3)2.4H2O+20CO(NH2)2=32N2+20CO2+106H2O+3Al2BeO4.

If we want to get 2.574 g of Al198Cr002Be100O400, then we have to take:

15 g of Aluminium nitrate, nonahydrate.
4.142 g of Beryllium nitrate, tetrahydrate.
0.1616 g of Chromium nitrate, nonahydrate.
8,086 g of Urea.

Then dissolve the weighed substances in a minimum quantity of water in a beaker, stirring constantly with a magnetic stirrer using very gentle and low heat to dissolve the solids. Then place the beaker with the mixture in a hot charcoal fire, for example, or heat to about 500 C in a preheated oven; I do not know the exact temperature to start this reaction, but it will be about 300 to 500 C. It would be best to start it with only aluminum nitrate , doped with a little of the above mentioned amount of chromium nitrate and with urea to get ruby powder and gain experience with this type of reactions, and then continue with using beryllium nitrate. I recommend this because of the extremely dangerous toxicity level of beryllium compounds!

[Edited on 5-12-2021 by Admagistr]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top