Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solubility data
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 18-3-2011 at 11:24
Solubility data

Is there a commonplace on the net where one can find information on the solubility of various compounds, particularly inorganic, in various solvents?
I am particularly looking for the solubility of lead methane sulfonate in DMSO, in case someone would know.

Thanks.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
redox
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chalcogenetic

[*] posted on 4-4-2011 at 16:24

Have you tried in a chemical encyclopedia? At the library in my town is a -very- thick index/encyclopedia that might have the information you are looking for.

Next time I go to my library I will look for you ;)
Maya
Hazard to Others

Mood: molten

[*] posted on 6-4-2011 at 17:24

duh

google duh............

http://bridgingthegap09.pbworks.com/f/Solubility+table+-+Wik...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table

duh

Handbook of Chemistry and physics double triple duh duh duh............

\"Prefiero ser yo extranjero en otras patrias, a serlo en la mia\"
trb456
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-4-2011 at 18:11

Uh, no Maya, not duh. The request was for solubility data "in various solvents". Water is not various. This is actually a nontrivial request. I can't just Google it, but perhaps I'm just dumb.

redox is on the right track. You need to consult one of the major chemical handbooks to get infomation like this (like CRC, for example), and you might only get results like "soluble", "soluble if hot", "insoluble", or something similar. Sorry, but it might not be easily available in more detail than this.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 06:31

Well, the obvious place to check for solubility of such a compound in DMSO would be Beilstein (or Reaxys as it was now renamed to appear more fancy). Usually, if you can't find the solubility reference in Beilstein, the solubility never was determined. I would not waste time with handbooks - they are unlikely to contain data for something uncommon as lead(II) mesylate.
kmno4
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 09:31

If you know solubility of given salt M<sup>+</sup>X<sup>-</sup> (of course not only 1:1 salts) in water and the Gibbs free energies (&#916G<sub>tr</sub>;) of ions transfer from water to another non-aqueous phase (acetone, DMSO, DMF, ethanol....), then you can estimate solubility of your salt in given sovent.
&#916G<sub>tr</sub> values for various ions and solvents are tabelarized. I have data only for limited amout of ions (mainly Na, K....), but possibly you can find more complete tables.
Solubility of given salt in water - if not known - can be estimated from the Gibbs free energies given ions in water solution.
These data are also available from tables.
Of course - these are estimations. But better these values than none, it someone really needs them.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 10:15

The water solubility tables are nice and I saved 'em in my bookmarks but the man said various solvents. I've never found google to be useful for that. CRC has a few common solvent entries. I would do an academic search for articles on solubility in DMSO. Take a class somewhere with a good library system. Or become a proxy hacker... And as been said, Beilsteins. Here's an article as an example:

[Edited on 7-4-2011 by chemrox]

Attachment: Solubility of 1,1-Diamino-2,2-dinitroethylene in N,N-Dimethylformamide, Dimethyl Sulfoxide and.pdf (91kB)
This file has been downloaded 822 times

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Maya
Hazard to Others

Mood: molten

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 16:28

if that's the case sometimes your only option is to hurl yourself into the Beilsteins stack (learn german, not hard) or get an approximation from CRC.

A computer program I have , listed every single known chemical compound and the properties with references. I'll have to see if I can reload it on a more reliable computer that won't die.......

\"Prefiero ser yo extranjero en otras patrias, a serlo en la mia\"

Go To Top