Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bromides from plastic
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 11:03
Bromides from plastic

Some plastic contains bromine as brominated flame retardant. It may be polycarbonate TBBA oligomer or brominated polystyrene. Other flame retardant uses rarely or restricted(DBDE,DBDE and other)
Bromine containing plastic example:printed circuit board(Contains some TBBA instead Bisphenol A ) PBT plastic Connectors on Motherboard, Electronics Cases(TBBA polycarbonate oligomer), PS plastic from printer cartriges, monitor and TV case(brominated polystyrene)
Electronic waste big problem in China and some Africa and south America countries. Chinese scientists have developed a method of fixing bromine from PCB waste(after cooper extraction) by calcination them with calcium carbonate. I checked this method

About 7 kg brominated polystyrene(TV case, printer cartriges) marked as PS-FR17 were calcinated with 1.5 kg mixture calcium carbonate and hydroxide(5\1) at up to 800-900C for destroy all organic compounds(CO begins to stand out at the end of the process)

After pyrolysis black powder from retort was leached with 5 liter hot water and filtred. Received 3 liter solution(loses bad filtration) with density 1.05 what correspond to 170gr calcium bromide. If to solution add mixture sulfuric acid and hydrogen hydroxide solution still slow red and have bromine odor. Calcium sulfate is precipitate

The solution was evaporated on the open air in the bowl to about 200 ml concentrated calcium bromide solution was prepared.

This method requires high temperatures and many plastic waste but works
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 11:08

Are you saying you did this and are reporting your results, or is there a question hidden in there somewhere? It reads like you just copied and pasted a piece of some dubious, machine translated Chinese patent...

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 11:23

No it did it. This is my method. Chinese and other works was used as a source of information

[Edited on 1-12-2021 by Hexabromobenzene]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 11:31

You claim to have obtained 200 mL of concentrated calcium bromide solution, but you don't have any information on how much bromide is actually in there... You're relying on the assumption that the only salt in your solution is calcium bromide. Without isolating a reasonably pure bromide salt from this process, the information is not very useful. A small amount of bromide being present would lead to the results you saw when you added sulfuric acid and presumably hydrogen peroxide (not "hydrogen hydroxide"), so you didn't prove whether you succeeded in extracting a worthwhile amount of bromide.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 11:40

I get 3 liter solution with density 1.05. I see in calcium bromide solution density table and it correspond to 170gr calcium bromide. After evaporation to 200ml concentration increases. Calcium bromide is difficult to get in dry form. What do you know well-soluble calcium salts which are stable at high temperatures? Chloride?
But I did not have gas bubbles and chlorine smell
Oxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 11:43

This looks interesting.
Are you able to titrate the product to confirm your assumptions?

I agree with Texium, your assumption might be wrong. In Europe bromides are kind of cheap so if it's not easy to isolate them easily and with reasonable cost then it might be not worth from economical perspective.
But it's very easy to verify it by using simple, good, old analytical methods. If you don't have analytical glassware then you might simply take some of it and convert to bromine as much as you can. Knowing the yield you will know how much of bromides you have there.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-12-2021 at 01:26

It would be better to isolate the resulting product in the form of pure elemental bromine to get an idea of how much br- is actually in there. Or maybe how much conc. Hbr you could get out of it at least. Trying to determine a yeild from this method in the form of CaBr doesn't sound accurate. I'm also curious as to what are the products of thermal decomposition at lower temperatures can the organobromine compounds be isolated or are they destroyed? And in your method how sure are you that no bromine was promised?
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2021 at 04:37

How did you rule out CaCl2 or acetate?
To be fair, if you got enough calcium into solution to get the density up to 1.05, you must have got some reaction
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 5-12-2021 at 13:00

This is interesting, as the other "raw chemistry" stuff from yours.

But please do more analysis!
What you got is not pure, do some more purification on it please!
If you can not obtain it dry, its because its totally dirty.

verrückt und wissenschaftlich
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-12-2021 at 18:06

Distillation Bromine at home very unpleasant employment. I can heat bromide with permanganate and acid. Brown vapor show presence bromine. But a little later

Main products decomposition brominated polystyrene is styrene and p-bromostyrene, but they fully burn in the furnace with fuel(Pine boards). TBBA give phenol and some bromophenols.
For full plastic decomposition need to heat at least 700 degrees about hour(900 degrees are better and faster)
Calcium acetate decompose in these conditions.

P.S
700 degrees is red hot
900 degress is orange hot

[Edited on 6-12-2021 by Hexabromobenzene]

Go To Top