Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Introduction/Suggestions
oceandeep67
Harmless

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 06:23
Introduction/Suggestions

Hello everyone. I haven't had the time to get on here in a long time, and 'time' still is the issue. I've had a passion for science since childhood, but had "bumps" preventing me from ever furthering my education. I live in the USA/midwest area.
Getting to the point, I'm just not into the whole virtual thing. How could I comingle with others that have a passion for chemistry. I tried applying for a chemist position which I feel I could have excelled at.... Not!
Anyhow suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks:D
sauveurdumonde
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 07:03

In my personal experience, I've found that "nerd" hobbies that require science of some sort attract chemistry often

For me, it was amateur radio. It seems like a lot of people interested in it also like chemistry, nuclear, and other "sciency" things.
I've never really found anyone (irl) who enjoys solely chemistry though...

"There is a shadow of a nation behind you, the hope of a people... yet it may not matter. The Divide still stands against us."
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 12:19

Welcome to the forum! I know some people on this forum meet up from time to time, maybe there are some in the Midwest that do
What area of chemistry interests you?
Have you tried any experiments, getting your hands dirty (under gloves of course;)) may spark your interest further. Do ask questions on this forum no matter how simple you think they may be, interacting through the forum may also help.
Best of luck!
oceandeep67
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-12-2021 at 11:57

Thanks for the replies. For me it started young; taking things apart to gather ingredients for home made fireworks ect. But 'organic'. Currently trying to get an H fuel cell to work on a Volvo diesel engine so researching H energy levels.
I'm older and liking hot summers less each year and trying to think of new ways to reduce my carbon footprint.... On a holiday break for now though.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 9-12-2021 at 18:48

looking around here in this board is a good start.
to maximize your success you could try also looking on facebook/instagram/reddit/very small youtubers.
most of us share their projects for passion and not for views, so it might still be hard to find someone close enough to you with similiar interests.

it will take time, that's for sure, but you'll find someone close to you, we aren't many around the globe, but you really just need a few to feel happy :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
oceandeep67
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-12-2021 at 19:13

Thanks for the replies. That rare chemical link was very interesting. I'm going to poke around a little while I have a moment. :D
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 12-12-2021 at 06:29

He: "oh I will just look around the place for a while..."
Eight years later: "oh hi guys!" :D

Hi! :)

verrückt und wissenschaftlich
TLutman
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2021 at 18:10

I live in the Midwest as well, but as you know, that’s a whole lot of territory. Narrow it down a bit.

I’ve been interested in chemistry for a long time, but only actually doing it for a year or so, off and on. I have other time consuming hobbies as well. Electronics, machining, shooting, model trains…. Chemistry just fits right in there.

As for me, central Ohio, out in the country
oceandeep67
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2022 at 04:02

I'm in Wisconsin; southeast area. TLutman; Totally feel ya on your second paragraph! That's why I'm never on here.

Go To Top