Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to make a DIY gas generator
alchemizt
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-1-2022 at 08:46
How to make a DIY gas generator

I used to use a gas inlet adaptor:

For bubbling gases into water. I would just hook up an addition funnel, to the gas inlet adaptor and a round bottom flask and use a tube to bubble gas into a beaker of water.

Has anyone here made one? Any ideas on easily available materials to make one?

[Edited on 2-1-2022 by alchemizt]
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 2-1-2022 at 09:08

i'm not sure i understood what's the question since you already made a gas generator, and for most uses your setup is already fine.
are you looking for a specific kind of gas generator? or something that doesn't require multiple pieces of glassware?
again i'm not sure what's the question

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
alchemizt
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-1-2022 at 14:29

I'm looking for something that doesn't require any chemistry glassware, just everyday items. Like this:

That will work but pouring the liquid reagent in the bottle then corming it means some gases will escape before you have time to cork it which isn't ideal. With an addition funnel, no gas escapes through the hole and you can easily control the rate at which the liquid enters the bottle, which means you dont need to pour it all in at once.

BTW: Sorry the image in my first post didnt work, now it works so you can see that adapter I was talking about

Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 2-1-2022 at 15:58

[url]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipp's_apparatus[/url]
$40 on amazon

I put one together with a mason jar, plastic funnel, tubing, valve and some caulk.
Depending on what your using it for make sure your materials will hold up to the reagents

I was making co2 boats.(floating aluminum foil) with baking soda amd vinegar

so i stuffed a small rag into the bottom of the jar so the dry agents were not on the bottom of the container.
Attached a funnel to the lid so that it was on the bottom of the jar when closed. Stuck in the valve. And loaded everything down with sealant.

Dry reagents goes into the jar. Liquid into the funnel.
As the gas pressure increases. The liquid is pushed back up the funnel. Regulating gas production and providing emergency pressure relief.
When you open the valve. The pressure drops allowing more of the liquid into the reaction chamber.

image2.gif - 21kB

[Edited on 3-1-2022 by Rainwater]

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 3-1-2022 at 06:18

Quote: Originally posted by alchemizt  
I'm looking for something that doesn't require any chemistry glassware, just everyday items. Like this:

That will work but pouring the liquid reagent in the bottle then corming it means some gases will escape before you have time to cork it which isn't ideal. With an addition funnel, no gas escapes through the hole and you can easily control the rate at which the liquid enters the bottle, which means you dont need to pour it all in at once.

BTW: Sorry the image in my first post didnt work, now it works so you can see that adapter I was talking about

you can use the apparatus in the picture and just add another hole in the cork of the generator. put your liquid reagent (let's say aqueous HCl) in another plastic bottle, make a hole in the cap of this bottle and glue a piece of tubing there, now connect this tube to the generator bottle.
when you want to add the acid you just flip the bottle over the generator and squeaze a little

gas generator.png - 62kB

or if you don't want to flip any bottle in fear of something leaqking, just push the tube to the bottom of the bottle and just squeaze it to push the liquid in the generator

gas generator flat.png - 63kB

oh and instead of making a hole near the bottom of the receiver, make a hole in the cap and push the tube to the bottom through there, in case of leaks you won't spill everything on your workspace

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make

Go To Top