Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: meta bromination of benzaldehyde
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2022 at 00:44
meta bromination of benzaldehyde

Below is a copy of patent for the meta bromination of benzaldehyde. It claims a 89% yield. Yes it is only a patent but there is a similar method on PrepChem which has less detail. The patent gives options for the poly chloroalkane solvent such as dichloromethane or chloroform that are more easily obtained than 1,2-dichloroethane given by PrepChem.

Attachment: pre-mbromUS4036887.pdf (247kB)
This file has been downloaded 174 times

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2022 at 12:32

Below are the equations for the above bromine/chlorine method which is unusual for me. I don't know if it produces a higher yield than only using bromine.

reaction666.jpg - 60kB

The above is a snip from this preparation
Attachment: continousproductionmbb.pdf (265kB)
This file has been downloaded 161 times

I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 21-2-2022 at 20:26

Well, we know that orgsyn can be trusted greatly, and they give enough details to make it repeatable.
There is this procedure, with a 59% yield for 3-bromobenzaldehyde: http://orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV5P0117

verrückt und wissenschaftlich
RustyShackleford
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-2-2022 at 10:08

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  
Below are the equations for the above bromine/chlorine method which is unusual for me. I don't know if it produces a higher yield than only using bromine.

The above is a snip from this preparation

Its most likely done that way for better atom economy on the bromine, chlorine is a lot less expensive afterall.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2022 at 11:24

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
Well, we know that orgsyn can be trusted greatly, and they give enough details to make it repeatable.
There is this procedure, with a 59% yield for 3-bromobenzaldehyde: http://orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV5P0117

Thanks for that. I suspect the Br/Cl method may be designed to save bromine by using half Br and half Cl. I don't need to minimise Br usage and I prefer not have to use Cl gas.

wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2022 at 02:09

As I don't have benzaldehyde, I could make it from the toluene that I do have a few 100ml of but I decided to purchase some benzaldehyde.

So while I am waiting for the benzaldehyde to arrive I thought I would consider using NBS or the hydantoin version or Br2+Br2/Cl2. But its more complicated than I thought.

I have to go out now and there are a lot power outs at the moment so I will post this now and add my thoughts later.

Ideally for its simplicity I would like to use NBS in a polar chlorinated solvent. Unfortunately I don't have sufficient knowledge to know if that would work.

The obvious problem is the limited solubility of NBS in a polar chlorinated solvents. Perhaps THF could be used.

I don't understand how the reaction would get going. Apparently HBr, light or a peroxide can start the reaction. I do have HBr acid but i suspect that can not be used due to its water content. Light initiation would be ideal if a 60W quartz tungsten halogen lamp would be sufficient. I also have some peroxide catalyst for resin.

Also I would like to use FeBr3 perhaps made in situ,

Comments or suggestion welcome.

[Edited on 2/23/2022 by wg48temp9]

Go To Top