Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Triethylsilane
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2022 at 02:07
Triethylsilane

Folks,

does anyone know a route to triethylsilane (or any other silane, for that matter). I'd like to experiment at one point with silyl enol ethers.

Not sure how this product can easily be made from.

Thanks a bunch
Monoamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: +7

[*] posted on 1-3-2022 at 21:01
Yes!

I'm actually super interested in this topic!! I just ordered all the raw materials I need to synthesize it. Apparently this can be used as a catalyst to do reductive amidations (not amination).

I will try to follow the original synthesis given in this 1872 paper (see attachment). It's in German, but if you're also interested enough, I can try to translate the paper for you.

Attachment: Synthesis_of_triethylsilane.pdf (434kB)
This file has been downloaded 154 times
Monoamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: +7

[*] posted on 1-3-2022 at 21:16

Actually, the method from this paper is for trypropylsilane, but this should be readily adaptable to triethylsilane.

To sum up the method in that paper:

1) Make silicon chloroform.
To make silicon chloroform pass dry HCl gas over silicon crystals which have been heated so much that they are just below
starting to glow with heat.

2) You will have to make zincpropyl (or in your case zincethyl). To make this, reflux the required alkyl iodide together with zinc shavings. (In the paper he refluxes iodopropane with zinc at 130C). (This seems to be the hardest part of the synthesis and the one with the lowest yield, I think there are now more modern and probably more efficient methods for making zinc alkanes).

3) Heat the zinc alkane together with the silicon chloroform at 150C for 6 hours. This should give your trialkylsilane plus zinc chloride.

Go To Top