Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Is it now illegal to buy from chemcraft?
gemar14
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-2-2022 at 21:44
Is it now illegal to buy from chemcraft?

Hello everyone! I'm a new hobby chemist and this is one of my first posts on here. Chemcraft is one of the reagent providers I've found on here for the amateur chemist. However, with the recent sanctions on Russia, is it going to be illegal to import things into the US from chemcraft?

[Edited on 25-2-2022 by gemar14]
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 24-2-2022 at 21:54

Quote: Originally posted by gemar14  
Hello everyone! I'm a new hobby chemist and this is one of my first posts on here. Chemcraft is one of the reagent providers I've found on here for the amateur chemist. However, with the recent sanctions on Russia, is it going to be illegal to import things into the US from chemcraft?

[Edited on 25-2-2022 by gemar14]

I have the same question, I used to buy often from Chemcraft, maybe it's still legal, but it's certainly very risky, because we don't know what other sanctions will come and how the Russian post office will work in deliveries to the West in the war with Ukraine...
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2022 at 23:32

Yeah, I suppose the following weeks risk being somewhat bumpy… We’ll have to do with the stocks, guys.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2022 at 05:05

Some of my closest relatives are blocked in a Ukrainian city under shelling. That's why I am also keeping my eye on sanctions. But in this situation, I think it is better to just ask chemcraft. Also, I doubt the sanctions will address small private businesses anyway.

[Edited on 25-2-2022 by teodor]
Mathias94
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2022 at 05:42

You may check out onyxmet. I have bookmarked the site for many years, but never ordered from them. Still it looks like they have a lot of useful inorganics.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2022 at 08:33

Why would Chemcraft be targeted by the sanctions ?

I would be more worried about unusual postal delays from Russia but my last order from them arrived 2 weeks ago.
Like Teodor said: Just ask Chemcraft.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Chemcraft
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-2-2022 at 13:46
delivery

At the moment, international delivery is working as usual. Payment is accepted by credit cards too as always. In general there are no changes in our work so far.

[Editing - worth adding a highlight. j_sum1]

[Edited on 28-2-2022 by j_sum1]
Jenks
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-2-2022 at 15:07

My order from the 22nd has made it to "Forwarded to the carrier" as of yesterday. I don't know if carriers are working anymore. I will post here is there is progress.
sauveurdumonde
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-2-2022 at 15:38

Quote: Originally posted by Mathias94  
You may check out onyxmet.

Yes, Onyxmet is amazing. No, I won't elaborate further.

"There is a shadow of a nation behind you, the hope of a people... yet it may not matter. The Divide still stands against us."
madcedar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-2-2022 at 00:02

They could resort to a crypto currency payment option as well. China has given Russia a life-line so they should be able to source material from there if they aren't sourcing material locally.
Chemcraft
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-2-2022 at 02:10

We do not take materials from China. All our products are Russian-made. Some of the reagents are produced by us. We have many buyers from China.
When Western banks block payments, we will switch to payments in cryptocurrency.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2022 at 04:32

If Chemcraft buys in Russian roubles, as far as payments are possible, this might be the right time to buy some materials, given than the Russian currency is on the skids?

Also, thanks for reminding us you don’t sell Chinese products.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 28-2-2022 at 05:40

The point of all these sanctions is that Chemcraft has to pay taxes to the Russian state and thus sponsors it. It is always the ordinary citizen who suffers the most, even though he may have nothing to do with the regime in his country... Chemcraft probably can't even express his opinion freely on the Forum without risking persecution in his own country. If Chemcraft were to set up a branch outside Russia and ship the goods there somehow, that would be the solution. There's already talk of those cryptocurrencies too, so in time payment in them may be blocked as well... What I really appreciate about Chemcraft is that it is not just a dealer, but a chemist too who makes things himself. It's great that his goods don't originate in China! It shows in the quality, I have never found his goods to be any significantly different from what he states about them. It's sometimes worse with Onyxmet and the quality isn't always there, but it's not the owner's fault, it's his suppliers' problem...It must be a tough time for Chemcraft...
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2022 at 06:18

With the Russian/European airspace being closed, don’t expect quick deliveries…
Unless folks at Chemcraft can let them cross the border directly at Köningsberg.
Jenks
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 15:29

Quote: Originally posted by Jenks  
My order from the 22nd has made it to "Forwarded to the carrier" as of yesterday. I don't know if carriers are working anymore. I will post here is there is progress.

As of March 4th, no progress. The status changed to "Uplifted" from Moskva on Feb 26th but no update since.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 4-3-2022 at 21:39

As of March 4th, no progress. The status changed to "Uplifted" from Moskva on Feb 26th but no update since.

That is not unusual though. That has happen with every order I have made. It sits like that until days after it is delivered.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2022 at 02:54

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  

That is not unusual though. That has happen with every order I have made. It sits like that until days after it is delivered.

This is probably caused by Covid quarantines.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2022 at 04:00

Although Chemcraft is not directly targeted by the sanctions, I would expect a severe delay in shipping. I read articles about goods going from and to Russia all being delayed because they have to be checked by customs to verify they are not violating the sanctions. Now we all know how fast customs usually are, let alone when they get a ton extra work.
Xanax
Hazard to Self

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 04:48

I bought from another russin company; https://en.chemical-elements.ru/

Two gas disarge ampules, fluorine an chlorine, for my element collection. The rubel is low now, and the price was 2000 rubel for the fluorine and 1200 rubel for the chlorine.

2000 rubel is about $20,82 and 1200 rubel is about $12,49. A fluorine gas ampoule goes for over $100 on eBay.

But it sems like thera are no larger quantities of nobel metals...

Studying chemistry more seriously now!
Convicted 2014 for crime against the radiation saftey law; https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-14406766
Blog, diary and homepage; https://www.richardhandl.com/ (swedish, but with translation option)
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 16:57

I expect some difficulties in payment with cc companies pulling out.
Paypal will be ok as far as I know.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 23:41

With aeroflot suspending international flights and other international airlines not flying into russia and ships not being allowed to dock or not being unloaded if they do, ordering anything from russia at the moment is likely to be a problem unless you are in someplace like turkey that is on friendly terms and less enforcing of sanctions. Belarus is a russian ally and unlikely to sanction russia.

This is in addition to the payment difficulties that likely require using crypto at this point.
Chemcraft
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-3-2022 at 02:43

At the moment, parcels to the EU are delivered by AirSerbia lines. In the USA and Canada, delivery is carried out through Turkey and the UAE (Dubai). Shipping to Japan and Australia is done by China Airways.
In fact, only European and American companies have stopped flights to Russia, all the rest fly as before.
From March 10, we start accepting payments in cryptocurrency (BTC). Customers from China can still pay via AliPay. We also accept UnionPay and MIR credit cards.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-3-2022 at 04:55

All the best, Chemcraft. You deserve it.
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 7-3-2022 at 07:47

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

Seconded. I am sure all of this will cause lots of complications which you do not in any way deserve.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 7-3-2022 at 11:05

Quote: Originally posted by pantone159  
Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

Seconded. I am sure all of this will cause lots of complications which you do not in any way deserve.

Totally agree, Chemcraft are a great company that allow the amateur to source many very interesting chemicals at a very reasonable price. I will be placing an 'in support of their business' order.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top