Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of zinc amalgam for Clemenson reduction
bluamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2022 at 04:55
Synthesis of zinc amalgam for Clemenson reduction

Hi everyone!!
Can someone tell me how to make zinc amalgam?! Is it similar to the way of making aluminum amalgam?
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2022 at 14:19

Does this help?
http://orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV4P0203
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 05:03

See pages 4 and 5 of my old TEMPO synthesis here: https://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62358

The yield was crap but I did get my product.

Quote:

In a test tube, 0.514 g mercury was dissolved in 0.7 ml 90% nitric acid.
Then, 4.960 g of the product from Step 1 was dissolved in a flask with 25 ml methanol. 17.053 g zinc powder, the mercuric nitrate solution, and a magnetic stir bar were added to the flask, which was fitted with a reflux condenser and an addition funnel containing 45 ml 12M hydrochloric acid. The flask was heated to reflux, and then 10 ml of the acid were added quickly. The rest of the acid was added slowly over 3 hours, with vigorous magnetic stirring.

Over this time, all of the zinc dissolved, and the mercury was reduced back to metallic form. When the reaction mixture had cooled, it was decanted from the mercury, and 10M sodium hydroxide solution was added until it was basic to litmus paper (pH ~9). A white precipitate of zinc hydroxide formed. The precipitate was filtered out, and the solution was extracted with 3 10 ml portions of toluene. Then, the toluene solution was extracted with 3 5 ml portions of 3M hydrochloric acid. The acid was evaporated under vacuum to give 1.658 g white powder. The powder was recrystallized from isopropanol to give 1.194 g colorless crystals.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 09:58

Used to use 5% mercuric chloride.
Just stir with the mossy zinc.

I used to use those blue triangular mercuric chloride tablets from Merck.
They used to be available on Ebay as antiques, usually from shut down old pharmacies in the midwest.

Don't see those around much anymore, but I'm sure regular mercuric chloride will do fine.

Checked Ebay, and the only thing I saw was a ridiculously expensive empty bottle.
Really makes me wish I'd hung onto my empties.

I do believe I've still got a couple of full ones somewhere.
If you find one, it won't look like pills any more as the chloride just sublimates around the bottle over the years.
The blue material is minimal (A dye added for safety purposes) and didn't seem to effect anything I ever used it for.

s-l1600.jpg - 197kB

I see the bottle says Lilly, not Merck.
Thought they were Merck.

[Edited on 6-3-2022 by SWIM]

[Edited on 6-3-2022 by SWIM]

bluamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-3-2022 at 07:37

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Does this help?

Yes it does, but look, it talks about the reduction itself while I'm talking about the synthesis of its catalyst.
bluamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-3-2022 at 07:39

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by Metacelsus  

In a test tube, 0.514 g mercury was dissolved in 0.7 ml 90% nitric acid.
Then, 4.960 g of the product from Step 1 was dissolved in a flask with 25 ml methanol. 17.053 g zinc powder, the mercuric nitrate solution, and a magnetic stir bar were added to the flask, which was fitted with a reflux condenser and an addition funnel containing 45 ml 12M hydrochloric acid. The flask was heated to reflux, and then 10 ml of the acid were added quickly. The rest of the acid was added slowly over 3 hours, with vigorous magnetic stirring.

Over this time, all of the zinc dissolved, and the mercury was reduced back to metallic form. When the reaction mixture had cooled, it was decanted from the mercury, and 10M sodium hydroxide solution was added until it was basic to litmus paper (pH ~9). A white precipitate of zinc hydroxide formed. The precipitate was filtered out, and the solution was extracted with 3 10 ml portions of toluene. Then, the toluene solution was extracted with 3 5 ml portions of 3M hydrochloric acid. The acid was evaporated under vacuum to give 1.658 g white powder. The powder was recrystallized from isopropanol to give 1.194 g colorless crystals.

That would be great if it can work. I thought it would be more complicated though.
But unfortunately I don't have toluene anymore so It will be much better if I can use another solvent instead
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2022 at 11:00

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by bluamine  
Does this help?

Yes it does, but look, it talks about the reduction itself while I'm talking about the synthesis of its catalyst.

See note 1 in this reference.
It is explicit instructions for making the catalyst.
1500 grams zinc in 600 ml 5% mercuric chloride for 2 hrs and filter and use immediately.

Sounds pretty much like what I did, except I didn't wait that long, and I used blue OTC mercuric chloride.
And my zinc was mossy, but That probably isn't a big deal.

Look, if you're really pinched for supplies zinc and mercury can be agitated together while HCl is added to make zinc amalgam.
You probably get different proportions doing it this way, but it does work for some applications.
This was sort of a last resort back when mercury was easy to get in metallic form but the salts were harder to find.

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2022 at 11:38

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by bluamine  
Does this help?

Were you unable to see the notes?
"The amalgamated zinc may be prepared by adding 1500 g. of clean granulated zinc to 600 ml. of 5% mercuric chloride solution. After standing for 2 hours with occasional shaking, the liquid is decanted and the zinc is used immediately."
bluamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2022 at 06:58

[
Were you unable to see the notes?
"The amalgamated zinc may be prepared by adding 1500 g. of clean granulated zinc to 600 ml. of 5% mercuric chloride solution. After standing for 2 hours with occasional shaking, the liquid is decanted and the zinc is used immediately."

Oh I just thought I've read that before and didn't find what I'm looking for
Thank you I'll try it then
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 17-4-2022 at 10:45

mercury, gross. using mercury seems like playing russian roulette while beating yourself to death with the gun as you take an infinite amount of turns. i dont see why galinstan isnt used instead? gallium-indium-tin alloy, now im not sure if gallium can be used as a salt like mercury can, and frankly.. why not just drip in some HCl to the zinc? mercury is something i hope to never have nightmares about.

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html

Go To Top