Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nice complex and precipitate of sodium chlorite
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-5-2022 at 12:59
Nice complex and precipitate of sodium chlorite

I did an interesting experiment with sodium chlorite and copper sulfate, making a bright green complex/precipitate of copper(II) chlorite. This stuff is quite interesting. I did not make a full web page about this experiment, but it is sufficiently interesting to share it with you.

I recently made a database and an accompanying application, which allows me to add experiments easily and quickly. It is my online lab journal and replaces my paper record.

Here follows the latest experiment: https://woelen.homescience.net/expviewer
You can find the experiment I did by searching by experiment by ID and typing number 655.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 14-5-2022 at 13:59

Neat. Have you analyzed the solid material for %Cu?

I love the database idea. Too many times I've done an experiment, and then been unable to find the write-up when I needed it because I couldn't remember which lab notebook I wrote it down in.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Diachrynic
Hazard to Others

Mood: zenosyne

[*] posted on 21-5-2022 at 21:40

Very nice woelen! I checked Gmelins handbook in hopes of finding a definite answer, but it seems that the copper chlorites aren't well explored. They make mention of a salt Cu(ClO2)2, yellow-brown, that is shock-sensitive and turns green within a day. They also mention the basic salt Cu(ClO2)2 ยท 3 Cu(OH)2, not shock-sensitive, but no color is mentioned in Gmelin.

They quote G. R. Levi, C. Cipollone, Gazz. Chim. Ital. 53 I [1923] 200/3. Thankfully, this is available on archive but I have also attached the relevant pages below, even if I don't speak Italian:

Attachment: gazz_53_200.pdf (69kB)
This file has been downloaded 240 times

we apologize for the inconvenience
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 22-5-2022 at 06:04

A yellow-brown salt that turns green in a day sounds very likely to be an anhydrous salt that hydrates in air. Seems to fall nicely in line with other copper chemistry.
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 24-5-2022 at 04:47

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I did an interesting experiment with sodium chlorite and copper sulfate, making a bright green complex/precipitate of copper(II) chlorite. This stuff is quite interesting. I did not make a full web page about this experiment, but it is sufficiently interesting to share it with you.

I recently made a database and an accompanying application, which allows me to add experiments easily and quickly. It is my online lab journal and replaces my paper record.

Here follows the latest experiment: https://woelen.homescience.net/expviewer
You can find the experiment I did by searching by experiment by ID and typing number 655.

Great idea! Unfortunately, I couldn't find your experiment. Neither by entering number 655 nor by searching for "copper chlorite". I only got a page saying "No matching experiments found".
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 24-5-2022 at 09:58

Go to the webpage, select "Experiment by ID" in the blue bar at the top of the window and then enter "655" in the search field.

Searching for compounds indeed contains a small error. If there are spaces in it, then the search does not work properly. Searching for only "chlorite" gives results. I'll fix that space issue next weekend.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top