[Edited on 25-3-2011 by triond]
matei
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-3-2011 at 22:32

Quote: Originally posted by triond  

by looking this its look like nylon-66

That would actually be Nylon 1-3.
You can make polymers by polycondensation using virtually any diamine and dicarboxylic acid chloride. The point here is to obtain a polymer with useful properties (such as high tensile strength in case of Kevlar, etc.).
Chordate
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-3-2011 at 22:52

What you are talking about making there is nylon 1,3. (polyamine naming convention is 1st number is the amine group, 2nd number is the carbonyl, unless you are synthesizing from lactones in which case you only use 1 number). It exists. Its properties are well known. The problem is that most nylons formed from methylenediamine are fairly strained, owing to how close the two amines are. It makes it hard to maintain larger order structure and what you get are partially soluble, high melting semiclear goops, more similar to an epoxy than a useful polymer.

I would also suspect that that particular acid chloride is going to give you all kinds of trouble in the reaction. Those alpha hydrogens are in a particularly electron sparse environment, and are going to be itching to find a home, and I wouldn't be surprised if the amine was strong enough to deprotonate some. I'd also expect quite a lot of cyclization, just because of the 6 membered ring sweet spot of the diamine and the malonyl chloride.

I'd expect you'd get something out of it though. Why not try? Just remember that you're going to make a lot of foul smelling smoke and it'll be vigorously exothermic.
triond
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-3-2011 at 08:40

so is technically possible to make a polymer made out of

oxalic acid and Ethylenediamine
?

[Edited on 25-3-2011 by triond]

Go To Top