Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reactions in enhanced blast compositions
OneEyedPyro
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2022 at 00:49
Reactions in enhanced blast compositions

For the longest time I've assumed that compositions like H6 or Tritonal simply heated the Al far past its auto ignition temp which then burned as it was ejected into ambient air.

Now that I think about it I can't help but to assume that with Al being such a strong reducer it's robbing the oxygen from the H²O, CO² and CO as well as probably some reactions with nitrogen during all of the chaos releasing extremely hot hydrogen and carbon. Or does it?

My knowledge isn't on par with a lot of you guys so maybe this is a stupid question. Just something I've been pondering.
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 25-7-2022 at 02:40

Both reactions coexist, the balance is shifted depending on all physical and chemical parameters. Read scientific articles on the question.

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-12-2022 at 21:01
TBX/eBX

What one eyed pyro is asking about is the definitional question of the state of the art of explosive employment in anti-structural vs anti-personnel weapons. There is a technological definition made depending on where the oxidizer comes from to assist combustion of auxiliary fuel. The answer to that defines if a composition is categorized as enhanced blast effect or thermobaric blast effect. Human lethality is around the 200 psi mark when you begin to see what is referred to as primary blast effect. Secondary blast effect is shrapnel wounds. Primary effect is hemorrhaging in cardio/pulmonary system. Traditional weapons are secondary effect weapons, where as ebx/tbx are primary effect weapons which bring a greater radius into the >200 psi lethal range as opposed to impact effect. The price of this is reduced peak pressure but in terms of lethal performance on living things, you can sacrifice a lot of peak pressure because by doing so with auxillary fuel, you extend the radius much further. Increased heat is also an effect but its not the main mechanism. Auxiliary fuels have been known for a long time before even this distinction existed. From WW1 I believe, it was learned that a detonation can support combustion of fuels using supplemental oxygen from the environment. So a sapper could extend the effect of blasting, particularly to cause heaving, making their explosive more effective in trenching. in US Army we were taught improvised explosives in Sapper school, one of the basic charges all students learn is "dust initiator" another is "fougasse". This stuff has been around a long time. Dust initiator is a TNT block broken out of its casing into a tuna can with a bag of flour or sugar set ontop of the can. Fougasse is C4 with steel wool under a barrel filled with gasoline and m4 fuel thickener. The top of the barrel is cut by detcord running a three strand loop around the end of the barrel and it splices into detcord before the c4 kicker charge, so the petn hits the lid and cuts it before the kicker charge fires. It's like a cheap high energy version of a grapeshot from the pirates era. dust initiator is taught to use to destroy train cars or small structures because it destroys walls. Fougasse is used in perimeter defense to cover deadspace.

We were also taught that anything >33.3% N can be detonated by C4 charges primed with petn. And we used to blow very large holes in earth using only giant bags of Urea primed with M112 C4 and detcord. Not a tbxebx thing i had just remembered this fact and thought it interesting
Anyways, I just think its interesting how soldiers figure all this stuff out in application before any understanding of what is happening becomes institutional science.

oh yeah and top energy heat of fuels is Boron>Aluminum>Carbon with many metals in between but carbon sources are the easiest for highest energy return, aside from aluminum.

Attachment: ebx tbx.pdf (986kB)
This file has been downloaded 166 times

Attachment: ebx rdx composites.pdf (2.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 147 times

Attachment: EBX aluminized explosives.pdf (856kB)
This file has been downloaded 185 times

[Edited on 2-12-2022 by Hey Buddy]

[Edited on 2-12-2022 by Hey Buddy]

Go To Top