Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Will Na-ion batteries eventually replace Li-ion ?
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 14-9-2022 at 08:20
Will Na-ion batteries eventually replace Li-ion ?

This online chemistry textbook page tells about the viability of sodium ion batteries. I have watched some Youtube videos about this (look for 'sodium ion battery') most of which are recent (< 2 years old).
It looks promising, they even tell that Cobalt is not needed but Iron and Manganese.

What are your ideas ?
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-9-2022 at 09:29

Quote: Originally posted by metalresearcher  

It looks promising, they even tell that Cobalt is not needed but Iron and Manganese.

What are your ideas ?

You asked for it...
"Oh, manganese from my poop, the rest are readily available!".
More seriously I think I'll research some of these videos after dinner. Too many questions but it seems pretty interesting cost-wise.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
JGHFunRun
Harmless

Mood: V and Y are the best letters

[*] posted on 14-9-2022 at 17:32

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Quote: Originally posted by metalresearcher  

What are your ideas ?

You asked for it...
"Oh, manganese from my poop, the rest are readily available!".
More seriously I think I'll research some of these videos after dinner. Too many questions but it seems pretty interesting cost-wise.

Yea... I'm gonna need context

HeH⁺ HeH⁺ HeH⁺ HeH⁺
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 14-9-2022 at 18:53

Na will never achieve the charge to mass ratio possible with lithium. But if the tech develops, it should be a lot cheaper. So, applications in stationary batteries with lithium for vehicles.
hexahydrate
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-9-2022 at 22:08

Apparently Sodium Ion batteries are already commercially available. Last year CATL announced their introduction to the market https://www.catl.com/en/news/665.html and advertised 160Wh/kg energy density. However they probably sell them to large customers only, so far. I have yet to see Na-Ion battery available to individual customers.
brubei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-9-2022 at 23:25

Sodium is less perfomant than lithium if used for mobility. It is still very competitive for domestic usage.

I'm French so excuse my language
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 15-9-2022 at 07:56

I'm not exactly bullish. Sodium anodes are obviously more reactive than lithium anodes. This is something many of us have direct familiarity with.

The name of the game in grid batteries is manufacturing. Making the damn thing tends to be way more expensive than the materials going in. Therefore, low energy density can impact the cost per kWh because you need more components per kWh. But more importantly, it's hard for amateurs to spitball what technology is going to be easy to make.

There are a couple of technologies that might compete with lithium on scale: sodium-ion, potassium-ion, zinc-bromine, tetrachloroaluminate-ion, iron sulfate, and the crazy-sounding "organic radical battery". I'm generally skeptical of any "flow" technology; moving parts are terrible.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2022 at 08:27

Quote: Originally posted by JGHFunRun  

Yea... I'm gonna need context

Well, it's a bit childish... Back when I discovered KMnO4 and it's stains I thought "Oh, this looks just like sh**"

You asked for it :)

That said, the research was interesting. As I may have said in other pages my second hobby is "everything underground".
Some people talk about their cars, me and my buddies talk about... who has the biggest. Flashlight of course !
So everything that has to do with batteries is interesting to me.
Na batteries dont seem as mature as Li but some companies seem to have built hybrids.
For me personnally the biggest issue seems to be the number of cycles they can go through even before the density.

It's interesting to check on developping technologies from time to time.
Greatest example are solar panels from the 90's and current panels: better lifespan, better output, etc.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
khlor
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-1-2023 at 08:29

I guess, that for mobile/vehicle applications sodium batteries might not fly. but stationary batteries might be right for it. I mean, power density is low, but when wright is not a problem, you can stand the lower performance for a significant lower cost. there might be a niche for this market.

"NOOOOOO!!! The mixture is all WROOOOOOONG!"

Go To Top