Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help in identifying the organic compound
vibbzlab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Always curious

[*] posted on 15-9-2022 at 22:09
Help in identifying the organic compound

So I had this bottle of anthracene which I bought from a chemicak supplies store almost one year back. Now when I open it ,it has this fluorescent like green color. When I tried to make anthracene picrate ,it gave yellow precipitate instead of the red color. So I am not sure if the compound is anthracene itself . Can someone help me?
I have provided the photograph of anthracene powder which I took out from its box

PXL_20220916_051119311.jpg - 1.5MB

Amateur chemist. Doctor by profession
Have a small cute home chemistry lab.

Please do check out my lab in YouTube link below

This is my YouTube channel
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2022 at 22:43

Hi Vibbzlab, That does look to bad! I have several jars of anthracene and some are very old (<1950) and some according to the label is "coal tar" anthracene of >90% purity and is a brownish yellow crystalline powder. The "newest one" claims to >98% and doesn't say what it is from. The former is faintly fluorescent under UV but if carefully sublimed it gives three concentric zone. The inner most and most abundant is clearly anthracene itself and it is pale yellow with a strong bluish green fluorescence. Around this forms a less abundant white zone with a blue white fluorescent and finally a trace of white sublimate with a dull purple fluorescence. I don't know what the two outer zones are but "coal tar anthracene" is notoriously impure. Your material resembles my "newer" anthracene and mine is fluorescent green too (particularly under UV) and so is probably OK.

You can try oxidizing a bit with conc. nitric acid and then recrystallising the anthraquinone from glacial acetic acid to test it. I haven't tried a Mp test on the raw material but this might be worth it and you could also see if it sublimes.
vibbzlab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Always curious

[*] posted on 15-9-2022 at 22:51

Thank you so much for your information. Actually I am giving some tuition classes to highschool students. There's a test in the books which helps to differentiate between naphthalene and anthracene. It says that one adding a solution of picric acid in acetone to a solution of naphthalene in acetone and anthracene in acetone , it gives a yellow crystallise product and red colored product respectively.
But it didnt seem to work here.

Amateur chemist. Doctor by profession
Have a small cute home chemistry lab.

Please do check out my lab in YouTube link below

This is my YouTube channel

Go To Top