Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Apparent AsCl3 realization by union of the elements at room temp
6dthjd1
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-12-2022 at 02:46
Apparent AsCl3 realization by union of the elements at room temp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbBrozOWySE

He never states a yield or amount of starting reagents but it would not surprise me if he lost 30% of his yield because he refused to heat the As.

Also if he just let the As sit in a round bottom flask he could probably get a better yield by virtue of letting the As have intimacy with the solvent that is AsCl3
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-12-2022 at 10:17

Interesting to see him doing it, but if this was done in a home-setting, then I have my severe doubts whether this should be done. AsCl3 is soooo toxic and really poses a safety risk, not just to yourself, but also to other people in the house. If I see those fumes on the video, then it really makes me wonder how much AsCl3 or hydrolysis products of AsCl3 are in that. Surely these white fumes are more than just fumes of HCl. The video tells that the risk only is small, but I do disagree with that. Volatile arsenic compounds are toxic, really really toxic.

Why would one want to make triphenylarsine? Making transition metal complexes with it? As an amateur chemist you can also stick to the much safer triphenylphosphine, which only is marginally toxic and can be handled safely without much problems. You could also try making triphenylphosphine yourself, but probably that is less satisfying, because you can buy it fairly easily (e.g. from one of the sellers here on sciencemadness).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2022 at 13:19

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
If I see those fumes on the video, then it really makes me wonder how much AsCl3 or hydrolysis products of AsCl3 are in that. Surely these white fumes are more than just fumes of HCl. The video tells that the risk only is small, but I do disagree with that. Volatile arsenic compounds are toxic, really really toxic.

Totally agreed. A dangerous synth with insanely toxic reagents/reaction products and for what end?

It's clearly NOT carried out in a professional/educational setting, just look closely...

[Edited on 14-12-2022 by blogfast25]

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2022 at 03:01

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Totally agreed. A dangerous synth with insanely toxic reagents/reaction products and for what end?

It's clearly NOT carried out in a professional/educational setting, just look closely...

[Edited on 14-12-2022 by blogfast25]

I'm sure Chemiolis works with adequate ventilation, I'm pretty sure he has a chemical degree of some sort or is not far from getting one. Have a look at his other videos, they are nice.
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2022 at 07:24

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  

I'm sure Chemiolis works with adequate ventilation, I'm pretty sure he has a chemical degree of some sort or is not far from getting one. Have a look at his other videos, they are nice.

His other videos are irrelevant here.

He uses large amounts of arsenic, while he could have used antimony whch is considerably less toxic.

No, sorry but no matter how nice his other video might be, this one is irresponsible to my mind.

[Edited on 15-12-2022 by blogfast25]

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 16-12-2022 at 14:58

Irresponsible as in you shouldn't ever work with toxic chemicals or irresponsible as in he didn't work responsibly with the arsenic? Or irresponsible as in you think the amount he used is too large in relation to what he could have used?

Or irresponsible in another way?

Go To Top