Printable Version  
Author: Subject: thermometer
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 18-12-2022 at 11:48
thermometer

Hi,

is SAFE the use of a laser/infrarred thermometer in ethanol... at ambient temp or > 40ºC???

Maybe the ther. make a average temp reading with the flask and the liquid inside???
B(a)P
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 18-12-2022 at 12:55

I have found that infrared thermometers (well mine at least) seem to give a slightly lower temperature reading when measuring through the side of a breaker vs measuring from over the top down into the liquid. I would be very curious to know more about how infrared radiation is emitted from a liquid and glass vessel combination. My guess is that most of what is emitted away from the surface of the liquid or vessel is then absorbed into the liquid so it is only really what is emitted from the surface that is able to be detected by the thermopile. So, if you are measuring through the side you are measuring the temperature of the glass and if measuring down from the top then you are measuring the surface of the liquid. Though glass is pretty transparent to infrared, so some portion of the infrared must pass through.
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 19-12-2022 at 11:07

I was afraid! I read in some place glass filtrate a lot of infrared, ultraviolet... but the laser really can ignite the inflammable liquid??? maybe the best is make a try :-)
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-12-2022 at 12:25

Go To Top