Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Separation and Obtaining of THF OTC!
Chemist1357
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-12-2022 at 21:47
The Separation and Obtaining of THF OTC!

So I've found that tetrahydrofuran can be obtained OTC from grey PVC pipe cement in a 50% concentration.
It is mixed with small amounts of PVC polymer, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, and cyclohexane. So my process for separation goes:

Add everything to water the acetone, mek and THF are soluble in water while the polymer and cyclohexane are not. Separate the water layer. Add sodium metabisulfite which should become sodium bisulfite in the water Na2S2O5 + H2O → 2NaHSO3.

Since MEK and acetone are ketones they should form an adduct with the sodium bisulfite solution to which the THF/water azeotrope can then be distilled at 64.2°C being 93.3% THF?

Then pass the THF/water mixture over a column containing activated alumina to remove the water and potential peroxides.

Store THF over 3a sieves in a bottle.

If you got any tips fire away. I haven't tried this yet but I don't see why it won't work. Also if you know of a better THF source lemme know.

[Edited on 20-12-2022 by Chemist1357]
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 19-12-2022 at 23:34

It's sold directly, easy to find if you look, probably see 100 of their trucks every day (US?). Walmart offers the cement you have in mind when THF is spelled out in the search bar, so not from them.

its cheaper there for your target 15$/120ml, than the cement is from ACE. just had to buy some cement the other day, for fixing PVC on my pool pump.. 13$ for a med bottle.
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2022 at 05:04

It depends on where you are located, in Europe you can buy it directly.
digga
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-12-2022 at 19:11
Amazon has it.

https://www.amazon.com/Tetrahydrofuran-High-Purity-Solvent-5...

Go To Top