Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anode Wires Oxidation/Corrosion
khlor
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2022 at 17:56
Anode Wires Oxidation/Corrosion

Hello,
I took a quick look here and couldn't find anything on the subject, at east nothing directly on it, so... I am hoping that someone with exerience or with an explanation could clarify the situation and give some helpful tips, alright, here it goes.

I've done plenty of electrolysis experiments at this point, like many here, however, I encountered some issues with the anode. It is a well known fact that anodes are oxidized and often corrode, but what about the wires, I mean, the anode wires connected to the anode? is it normal that the wires used on anodes oxidize and get all crumbly? I mean, I use multi core plastic insulated copper wire and solid graphite rod anodes, the cell is a closed system and the graphite anodes stick out of the cell(the conection between the wire and anodes is outside of the anodic chamber), but the anode wires still get oxidized and corroded overtime, to the point that in a few weeks they get all crumbly and the copper get all dark, sometimes black, like it rotted away.

so here is my questions.

1 - What might be causing it?
2 - Is it normal and/or sould I have expect it?
3 - Is there something I can do to stop/prevent it?

Any input on the matter will be greatly appreciated!
thanks in advance and happy holidays!

"NOOOOOO!!! The mixture is all WROOOOOOONG!"
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Mood: Became chemistry catboy Vtuber Nyaa

[*] posted on 24-12-2022 at 18:26

graphite is porous there is your answer!!.
if its not the graphite then its salt creep and that can be fixed if you run a venturi line to suck in all those misty gases along with air from outside.
salt creep is normal with most electrolysis even without using graphite and yea prevention is hook outlet to venturi pump to produce reduced pressure but make sure to have a hole otherwise your cell will be running at a vacuum and you dont want that but instead air from outside replaces cell gases and mist.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2022 at 07:02

Multi strand copper wire is very susceptible to corrosion due to its large surface area particularly so when exposed to the mist of the electrolyte and capillary creep of the electrolyte. The multi strand wire will wick up the electrolyte several inches under the insulation. The multi strand wire will wick up the electrolyte several inches along and under the insulation.

Its preferable to use thick single strand wire and cover any exposed area with hot glue or something to protect it. You should also check the wire is not copper clad aluminum that is even more susceptible to corrosion.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
khlor
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 25-12-2022 at 09:41

Quote: Originally posted by mysteriusbhoice  
graphite is porous there is your answer!!.
if its not the graphite then its salt creep and that can be fixed if you run a venturi line to suck in all those misty gases along with air from outside.
salt creep is normal with most electrolysis even without using graphite and yea prevention is hook outlet to venturi pump to produce reduced pressure but make sure to have a hole otherwise your cell will be running at a vacuum and you dont want that but instead air from outside replaces cell gases and mist.

I have a hard time, unless all graphite is porous like that... I done some searching before I got into this and decided to use copperclad welding rods(copper was stripped beforehand, I heard something about oil treatment, but most of my reading suggested it would not be necessary for my source of graphite), though I will not be quick to dismiss this, I don't think it could be it, the anodes used to be in a vertical position inside a sealed anode chamber with a gas outlet, and the copper connections were eaten away like they were made out of iron whool, as for salt creep... never gave it a thought since I never saw salt growths on top of the anode connections, though... the copper always turned green sometime before vanishing, something I might have to check with close attention on the next runs, very interesting take.

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  
Multi strand copper wire is very susceptible to corrosion due to its large surface area particularly so when exposed to the mist of the electrolyte and capillary creep of the electrolyte. The multi strand wire will wick up the electrolyte several inches under the insulation. The multi strand wire will wick up the electrolyte several inches along and under the insulation.

From my setup specs it seems not possible for this to be happening, though your description kinda made it easier to imagine - an eye openner - is this known to happen even on air? I mean, is it possible to the electrolyte to creep up from the graphite rod into the between of the copper strands?

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  
Its preferable to use thick single strand wire and cover any exposed area with hot glue or something to protect it. You should also check the wire is not copper clad aluminum that is even more susceptible to corrosion.

Yes, I'll considere favoring single strand copper wire for my next endeavors. and yes, I made sure all wires I used up to this point were all copper made.

Gentlemen, thanks for your helpful insights, advice and attention on this matter. I shall take it into consideration for my next runs as soon as I manage to source the supplies for the modifications.

"NOOOOOO!!! The mixture is all WROOOOOOONG!"

Go To Top